Macro other than Chaeto

So I'm getting sick of the little bits of chaeto breaking off and clogging my return pump intake from the sump. Any other suggestion on macro alage?

RyanLab

in my experience, chaeto that breaks off is unhealthy. it really loves light and flow. i have a 12x 18 chaeto grow area and it is lit by 96w powerquad, and 1000ghp of flow....if you dont have that much flow, use a powerhead, and flip the chaeto 180 degrees once a week, this should keep the chaeto from flaking off..lastly, chaeto is the best, and easiest to work with...i would not switch it.....more lastly, make a prefilter with some surface area to catch bits of cheato before it enters the pump.

plus it is illegal to have caluerpa in Ca, not that the cops are going to bust you for it....

Halimedia is another good one, but it sucks out the calcium too which is a bummer.

I like to trim my cheato often and I think that helps keep in healthy too. I have some in a display fuge that I attached with a rubber band to a disc. so it wouldn't float around. I take it out every so often and trim it like you would a hedge. It's pretty tight together now and isn't messy.

Latest posts