Skimmer reccommendations

dwl

Skimmer recommendations

Hey all,
I have an ASM G1X skimmer that is just not working like it used to. I have disassembled and cleaned the pump, but have not run it in vinegar yet, but it is just not skimming.
I don't think the pump is flowing enough water and/or air to make it skim.

So, should I replace the Sedra 3500 and leave it alone? Should I modify the skimmer into a recirc? If I recirc it, I assume I will need a new/different pump, right, if so, what? Should I just replace the skimmer?
If so, what is the best skimmer that will fit in a 9" x 11" area (height is not too much of a problem)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi. the g1x is a good skimmer but you can make it even better.

have you run the airline thru some RO/DI water to clean the venturi on the pump. once a week I run 1 gallon of RO water thru my venturi on my euro-reef. this does two things, it cleans the salt out of the venturi and volute, and if helps break up any build up on the needlewheel.

you can also meshmod the pump. If you take a drill bit and bore out the venturi just a tad. this will increase air input as much as 30%. then cut the pins of the wheel and attach some enkamat or pf4 DLS material. the thing will be a beast. meshmodding will decrease flow in the skimmer but double if not triple the air intake while making the bubble size smaller.

Some people have added a sedra 5000 to that skimmer. but i havent seen many people post about it.

a gate valve mod could hurt either... the best way to get minute adjustments to foam height.

hope this helps

Last edited:

dwl

wow... kinda forgot all about this thread.

I ended up getting a Bermuda 3C, and not surprisingly I like it.

That G1X really is a pretty good skimmer overall though. It got a nice vinegar bath and cleaned up very nicely too.

Pics? really?