Lighting questions: Are T5s enough?

I'm starting to make a plan for the second tank. We'd like to do T5 lights on this one to try and cut down on the power bill. I may even replace the upstairs tank with the same if I like them. It seems to be difficult to find T5s for a 60" tank, most end at 48". I did find this light on eBay and I'd like some opinions. It is 60" long, 15" wide. It had 10X80 watt HO T5 lights and moonlights. Includes 5 of each 10000k and actinic. (ignore the product description, it's not quite right) Will this be enough for SPS to at least close to the bottom of a 24" tall tank?

http://cgi.ebay.com/60-Aquarium-Lig...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

ASommers

Do you have a canopy? I use 48" on my 120 and there is just a slight drop off on the side and my lights are 3" from the water surface. That fixture does not have individual reflectors which is what your looking for with T5. I would shoot for 6 to 8 bulbs. Look at reefgeek they seem to have the best deals I could find.

Yes, T5's will work on SPs for sure. 10 bulbs will definately work if not too much. 8 bulbs will probably suffice.The unit you are looking at states it has individual reflectors but I am not sure of the quality of that unit. Like silverwolf says, check with Reefgeek. I use all T5's and my SPS seem to be doing well.

Raskal311

Sunlight Supply makes the Tek in 60" retro fits, go with 8 bulb and use 3 Aqua blue, 5 actinic +. Many of my customers really like this configuration and all have had great sps growth.

Susan, you can save some money on the light and power bills by going with the 48" bulbs. You'll only have 6" on each side with no bulbs directly over the water but you'll still get plenty of light for some LPS and softies. Also with the 48", you'll have better bulb selection versus the 60". They don't make everything for the 60". For the price listed on Ebay, you can get a much better quality setup from Tek.

I use a tek setup on my system. got it from reef geek. I use 3 x 54W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent (ATI), 3 x 54W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent, and 2 X 54W True Actinic 03 T5 HO Fluorescent ATI. I am using it on a 60" tank and my growth and colors are fantastic. The tank is quite shallow (frag tank) and I have actually had to move many of the zoos and shrooms away from the lights because they are so bright. I keep the light about 8" off the water. I am growing SPS, LPS, and softies under it. I am seriously considering switching over my 180 to T5's as well.

i have a 180g and i use two 250w MH and i am using two 48 inch T-5 supper actinics. The t-5's give alot of light. Its just how you position them. i have one covering the left hand side and with a two foot gap and i have another one on the opposite side with another 2 foot gap. And they light up my whole 180g. Plus the heat they give off is so low. I can stand to hold the bulb that has been running for 3-4 hrs in my hand.

By the way if you want to get the 60' inch one also Hamilton Technology sells them. They are local in Gardena. For example i am running my t-5 with out a reflctor right now but i am planing on geting the TEK single T-5 reflector from marine depot they go for about $20 a piece and they clip right on to the bulb.

By the way if you want to get the 60' inch one also Hamilton Technology sells them. They are local in Gardena.
Robert, thanks for the pointer.. I think the Hamilton one is a winner... Especially if I can pick it up and save on shipping. It would output 560w of VHO T12, and I'm guessing that would be plenty for SPS. Thanks guys, it will be a while, but know I have a better idea of the plan.

Ahhh... Ok, then that light isn't the answer. Crud. Ok, so retrofit lights, the stand has a canopy, so looks aren't an issue. I assume it would be just the raw light and reflectors. Can I install just this into the canopy and create a spash guard of sorts? I'm not a lighting expert, as you can tell.

ASommers

I'll try to get a pick of mine tonight. It's about as crude as you can get. Lights sit about 3" from the water surface. No splash guard I just wide the little bit of salt spray I get from the couple of micro bubbles when I do the regular maintainance on the tank.

since you have a canopy you can stager the placement of the lights in the canopy to get the coverage you want...

something like this. with reflectors and multiple bulbs shouldnt be an issue

---------------
-------------------
---------------
-------------------

Latest posts