Duncans: Proper placement?

I have one head of Duncans that I would like to know where to place it. Do they need high flow or low flow, high lighting or low lighting?

Also, is direct feeding required?

Thank U

my ORA mini colony is under 250's with med flow. doing well grows great. i am wondering how one frags these. and healing rate. started with 7 and now up to 15 heads=)

d34532

You can have them in high or lower light and some with flow also but med is best. You can frag them by cutting them where they split. I got one polpy that was fresh cut. it encrusted and started to have new babies within 1 months time because mine got good lighting and was feed almost everyday. You don't have feed your duncans but they will grow much faster if they get good light and are feed.

Low to medium flow is fine and bottom to mid-range placement will do. I have several colonies placed in different spots in the tank and they all do well. These guys are pretty hardy and grow like weeds, especially if you feed. Now direct feeding to each polyp not required but a nice blast of marine snow, phyto feast, mysis shrimp or any other food is fine. I feed 2-3 times in a week, some people feed everyday...it is up to you. Also, make sure you have a variety foods when you feed so it is not just eating McDonald's every day.=)

Here is a little info -

How I fragged a "non-branching" polyp-
http://blog.jendub.com/2007/07/02/propagation-tips--duncans.aspx

Coral Showcase-
http://blog.jendub.com/2007/11/02/duncans-aka-daisy-aka-whisker-coral.aspx

Ciao,
Jen

Last edited:
Ok great. You guys gave perfect information. I will try to feed mini mysis and place mid tank under my T5's. Thanks again:top: