need help on the 10g sump.

i just bought a 30g tank with a 10g sump/plumbing and i was just wondering,if i can just turn the sump into a return/hob skimmer??or is the refuguuem required in the sump?i new into the reef scene and was just wanting to know more about the sump.also can i also put a heater in the sump?

im seeing alot of people use theyre sump into a refu/return/skimmer but would it be okay if i just use it as a return/skimmer?? yeah i was also thinkin about the heater in the sump,but i know its gonna be compact in there since it's only a 10g.btw go Chargers lol.

welcome to the boards, good to see another san diegan. you don't need to have a refugium in the sump. you can make it just for a skimmer/return section. the benefit of having a refugium is having algae that competes with algae that trys to grow in your tank. but it is not necessary. what you are talking about doing would be fine. really thats the intention of the sump, to have all the equipment in it, so you don't see it in the display tank.
any other questions let us know.
jon

thanks jon for the help...i really appreciate it,btw should i also divide the skimmer and the return pump by using baffles/dividers??also i was thinking about a aqua clear filter that i got for free and thinking about using it in the sump or in the main tank.would that be okay also??or will that mess everything up??(aqua clear filter hob in the main tank,hob skimmer in the sump)...

you don't need to separate the skimmer and return pump with baffles, but it may allow you a extra bubble barrier from the skimmer. not necessary, but couldn't hurt. IMO, aquaclear filters aren't necessary. you can run carbon filtration in it, but it is not necessary and it pull good nutrients out of the water as well as waste, which with a good skimmer, you won't have much, if any waste to be pulled out by a aquaclear filter. if you want to use it you can, some people do, i run nothing but a skimmer, and i have had great success with it.