Can I use Beach Sand???

Is there anything wrong with going down and filling up a 5 gallon bucket of beach sand and using that as my sand bed??? Pros and Cons??? If any one can help??

cons, polution, cigarette butts, urine, feces, to name a few. also most beach sand has silicates in it, and phosphates, you will have a never ending algae fiesta.

pros, its free.

can you take sand from the beach or is that illegal? I don't know for sure, but i don't think you can take anything home.

reef_doug

Pollution. Not worth it.

Think of all the skim on the water washing ashore and being trapped in the sand. Sand is one of the cheapest things in this hobby and I'm all for saving a buck. But not when it can cause serious problems.

Josh

you will have diatom outbreaks till you rip all your rock out and scoop every last grain out. just asking for a big pain in the butt down the road.

keep an eye out there is always someone selling there old sand, that would be your best bet.

answer is no. beaches around here is so poluted. Think of it this way. you how how skimmers work right? The shore where the sand is that natures skimmer to clean the water. And sewage leads to the ocean. If you want sand thats good you would need to go out about 25-30 miles out into the ocean. Just by someone sand around here that is selling it.

Latest posts