User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 52
  1. #16
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Name
    Alex
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Why does everybody rave over this store? I have been to this store twice now and both times I was disappointed. (The second time I was even disgusted) The dry goods in this store are cluttered and the used lights etc are just in a pile on the floor.

    The tanks in the pictures i have seen look immaculate; however both times I have been in there the tanks looked dirty to me. After the first time of driving out there I thought I would never go back. But I decided to give it another shot because everyone speaks so highly about it. The second time was worse then the first.

    Yes they do have a lot of corals which is nice. But the last time I went in there one of the employees smelled so bad we could not stay in the store. I took my girlfriend in because of the high praise at this place but we made one quick lap around the frag tanks and left because we could not stand the smell. I'm not trying to be rude or talk **** but I just dont see why so many people praise this store, and these are just my observations and experiences with this particular store.

    They even have a couple of large display tanks one with a couch in front of it, but I couldn't stay long enough to sit and look at those

    Maybe I don't know what I am talking about because I am relatively new to this hobby but I have been to at least 15 and up to 25 local fish stores all over southern california (inland empire, orange county, la county and even down to San Diego) and this store is not one I would be back to anytime soon.

  2. #17
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Name
    Mike Gilliland
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    2,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maybe you have never talked to the employees . I have been to all the stores and ONLY go to coral gazers. This is why. Chad is very knowledgeable. He gives me great deals on EVERYTHING. Sure the store isn't perfect but you should have seen it a year ago. Man it has come a long way. Especially since it has only been 2 people running that show . Chad works more than anyone I know and he works hard! You don't mean to talk trash but you are. They have the best coral selection in socal. Only one who comes close in my opinion is fish collection. Coral gazers has high end stuff that you won't find at other spots. I will continue to support them as they are my local fish store. Maybe talk to someone next time ur there.

  3. #18
    "keepin'-it-real-ologist"
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Name
    Al
    Location
    Reeferside
    Posts
    5,062
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^^^LOL.

    I'm guilty of not having visited Chad yet. Last time I was at Garret's Acropolis I had every intention of stopping by on my way home...ended up having a family emergency and that was that. Next time I'm in the area I'll stop in...
    I survived the Acid Rain BTA scandal of 2013.

    Team Polyclad FTW!

  4. #19
    Premium Member toomuch420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Name
    john
    Location
    westminster
    Posts
    2,666
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGilliland View Post
    Maybe you have never talked to the employees . I have been to all the stores and ONLY go to coral gazers. This is why. Chad is very knowledgeable. He gives me great deals on EVERYTHING. Sure the store isn't perfect but you should have seen it a year ago. Man it has come a long way. Especially since it has only been 2 people running that show . Chad works more than anyone I know and he works hard! You don't mean to talk trash but you are. They have the best coral selection in socal. Only one who comes close in my opinion is fish collection. Coral gazers has high end stuff that you won't find at other spots. I will continue to support them as they are my local fish store. Maybe talk to someone next time ur there.
    THIS!



    *rAzOr*
    rAzOr

  5. #20
    iLikeTurtles
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Name
    Jonathan
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    To Mike: Although I don't mean to offend, I must point out that your post mostly sympathizes with the state that Coral Gazers is in. The previous poster assessed the store based on how he honestly perceived it. After reading his post, I couldn't help but reminisce about the trip I took with my wife to check out this highly acclaimed store.

    We did eventually purchase things, but it was awkward and unpleasant at best. Selection was great, but the frag tanks and fish holding tanks were dirty, and it was difficult to know a price without bothering the employee. Dry goods section was crowded.

    There was no lack of "cherry" selections, but it was unappealing to see that the average joe frogspawn was priced quite high as well.

    Awkward. Even though we were essentially trying to get them to take our money - the employee helping us would constantly walk away, give us one word responses to open ended general questions, and left us wondering if he was just a genius unwilling to share his knowledge about coral care with us.

    This was my second time there.

  6. #21
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Name
    Damian
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Posts
    5,640
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've been to Coral Gazers quite a few times and I'll agree to disagree with the above statements. All the times I was there, the tanks were up to par with my standards of a clean tank. Is there some algae around? An aptasia here and there? Sure, who doesn't have any? No LFS tank is going to look impeccable.

    The center frag tank where most of the LPS frags are were grouped by prices (brownie points from me because I have the short term memory of a mouse when it comes to remembering numbers/prices and buying tons of frags e.g. Mystic Reef). You can't expect somebody to write down every single frag price they have.

    The softies tank with the high end zoas in the back was also up to spec and looked clean. The LPS display tank next to the huge SPS tank has always looked good and clean everytime I went and my favorite, the SPS show tank was in good shape. There were a lot of designer clowns the last time I went and they all looked super healthy.

    Customer service has always been good. I'm an asocial jerk, so I hate salesmen talking their game and people breathing down my neck to buy stuff. When I need help, I ask them and they help me. No one is chasing me around constantly trying to sell me $5 frags and magical reef salt....and that's the way I like it.

    As far as the dry goods section being a little crowded, I think CG could take that as good constructive criticism. It gets a little difficult for a clutz like me to maneuver in tight spaces, but I lived through it.

    And I don't know about you, but when I'm under a few 400w halides, I start to break a sweat and start stinkin' a little too. Haha Either that, or Jimmy Hoffa's corpse is burried under CG and is starting to stink up the place...

  7. #22
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Name
    Nick
    Location
    Eastvale, Ca (Corona)
    Posts
    13,417
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Man what's up with the CG haters? I can tell you one thing that might help clear up the confusion....

    When people rave about Coral Gazers, it's not because they have the cleanest store, or the most organized dry good section...it's all about the CORALS. There are very few LFS that actually have nice high end corals in stock. Like any fish store it can be hit and miss with the fish selection. If you want to go to a fish store because it's clean, organized, and smells good this may not be the hobby for you. I go out of my way to go to coral gazers for awesome coral selection, great customer service, and Chad and John have a TON of knowledge. Im sure CGs have a ton of looky loos that look around for an hour and then buy one $5 test kit. I think it's part of the hobby, so u cant expect them to follow every customer around and tend to them. Im sure if you had a question they would gave gladly helped and answered you. I remember being a noob and I would spend hours at fish stores and walk out with a $10 pack of food. Might have just been a bad day for the store. Give them another chance, Chad is always trying his best to upgrade tanks or make the store look better.

    PS. I am in no way affiliated with CG, im just a grateful customer that ows a lot of my success in this hobby to CG.


    Sent from my iPhone
    HOT DOGS ARE GOOD!!!

  8. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Name
    ?????
    Location
    so cal
    Posts
    1,526
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Most of my corals have come from coral gazers.

    And what's funny is I bet his tanks are alot cleaner then your tank.


    Chad knows his stuff. He ain't sweating nothing. He literally has southern california reefers by the balls and he knows it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Suckas

  9. #24
    Premium Member lowbudget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Name
    LowBaller
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    21,811
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Chad I hate that guy. Every time I goto his shop always takes my money.
    Quote Originally Posted by lurking View Post
    He says your pictures suck
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedfish View Post
    Yep I love big wieners just like Schnitzel

  10. #25
    "keepin'-it-real-ologist"
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Name
    Al
    Location
    Reeferside
    Posts
    5,062
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowbudget View Post
    chad i hate that guy. Every time i goto his shop always takes my money.
    lmfao!!!!!!!!!!
    I survived the Acid Rain BTA scandal of 2013.

    Team Polyclad FTW!

  11. #26
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Name
    Mike Gilliland
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    2,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Essence View Post
    To Mike: Although I don't mean to offend, I must point out that your post mostly sympathizes with the state that Coral Gazers is in. The previous poster assessed the store based on how he honestly perceived it. After reading his post, I couldn't help but reminisce about the trip I took with my wife to check out this highly acclaimed store.

    We did eventually purchase things, but it was awkward and unpleasant at best. Selection was great, but the frag tanks and fish holding tanks were dirty, and it was difficult to know a price without bothering the employee. Dry goods section was crowded.

    There was no lack of "cherry" selections, but it was unappealing to see that the average joe frogspawn was priced quite high as well.

    Awkward. Even though we were essentially trying to get them to take our money - the employee helping us would constantly walk away, give us one word responses to open ended general questions, and left us wondering if he was just a genius unwilling to share his knowledge about coral care with us.

    This was my second time there.
    Probably wasn't an average joe frog spawn. I've gotten three frog spawn frags for 10 bucks each. It just eats me up when people say negative things on the "featured lfs" thread and I've had countless looooong conversations with chad and even rukis when he was there. Tank wouldn't be where it is without them. I've been to every fish store. NONE of them smell good.... maybe its cuz of the 1000s of gallons of saltwater indoors. Could be wrong tho... yeah dry goods is a little cluttered but a lot of people order stuff from chad that flake and don't pick it up or he gets a ton of stuff from people that want store credit. You would be surprised how many people come in and just say "fix it, its broken" and just leave. like I said in my previous post, since Dec 2010 when I started, store is COMPLETELY different. Its difficult to improve a shop when u are the only one there. I will have coral gazers back till the end of time. They ALWAYS take care of me, and from people who actually make conversation with people who work there will say the same thing.

  12. #27
    Moderator pgr11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Name
    Chris
    Location
    Hesperia
    Posts
    11,007
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGilliland View Post
    Probably wasn't an average joe frog spawn. I've gotten three frog spawn frags for 10 bucks each. It just eats me up when people say negative things on the "featured lfs" thread and I've had countless looooong conversations with chad and even rukis when he was there. Tank wouldn't be where it is without them. I've been to every fish store. NONE of them smell good.... maybe its cuz of the 1000s of gallons of saltwater indoors. Could be wrong tho... yeah dry goods is a little cluttered but a lot of people order stuff from chad that flake and don't pick it up or he gets a ton of stuff from people that want store credit. You would be surprised how many people come in and just say "fix it, its broken" and just leave. like I said in my previous post, since Dec 2010 when I started, store is COMPLETELY different. Its difficult to improve a shop when u are the only one there. I will have coral gazers back till the end of time. They ALWAYS take care of me, and from people who actually make conversation with people who work there will say the same thing.
    +10000000000000000)000)00)

  13. #28
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Name
    Molli
    Location
    Crestline
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've got to get out to this store apparently.

  14. #29
    Premium Member toomuch420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Name
    john
    Location
    westminster
    Posts
    2,666
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just a cpl observations at coral gazers from a not very observant person.

    I can get fish & corals anywhere I go there 4 the incredible patients and intelligence of chad & John and as mentioned above Rukis when there.

    The only fairly priced store with "Highend" corals & fish,whatever chad doesn't have he can get 4 me.

    To my knowledge it's the ONLY fish store that Carries used dry goods and in this economy can come in handy(were not all oc ballers).
    Also only lfs that drills glass & does other aquatic drygood repairs!

    The prices the prices the prices!


    Idk where I would b in this hobby without these ppl. I am in no way affiliated with coral gazers but i am a customer 4 life.THX CORAL GAZERS


    *rAzOr*
    Last edited by toomuch420; 07-18-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    rAzOr

  15. #30
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Name
    Damian
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Posts
    5,640
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Put it this way, I wouldn't spend a crapton of gas for nothing...


 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •