Moving to So Cal!

I am moving from Minneapolis to Riverside in August to attend UCR. I will be starting work on my PhD in Bio-analytiocal chemistry. I am hoping to have enough time to at least keep a small tank. In the past I have kept mostly LPS and some SPS. I have had a reef tank for about 5 years now and I have a good idea of what I am doing. I am excited to meet a new group of enthusiasts. Hi!
Derek

geez so many clubs. I Found the inland one and someone there sent me here. There is also a different so cal one that seemed deserted plus the multiple LA area ones. Here in MN we have 1 club with about 300 people in it.

Thanks though. I will check it out

welcome to the 951. i am here in riverside as well. i have a 150 sps and a couple good prop tanks. let me know when you need a frag to start the seeding

I will do that, thank you. I have taken my tank down here already, but I have a few corals that are being babysat until I have something cycled out there. So hopefully when I am ready I will have something to trade as to not be one-sided.
What would really help is if people could keep their eyes open for something like a 33L that I could buy in august. I am keeping some equipment, but I am not bringing a tank. I will be moving with only what I can fit into my little Jetta. Partially because I cant afford a moving truck and because I feel that a fresh start is in order

3rd rock from the sun, looking to move. Will consi
Cool your in Riverside check out Iemas.us..We are the local IE club
We also used to be "based" off the Inland Reefs board...

But, yeah, the IEMAS.US site is the new club site. Unfortunately, it's been having technical issues and goes offline now and then. Or is online now and then; depends on your perspective...

Again, welcome. Let us know when you get here and we'll help get you going...

Getting used to the climate change will be weird. I was really pale skin and freckles. Ive always burned in the sun so I try to keep out. I never wear shorts unless I am swiming, and I never ever wear sandals

Wannareef

Welcome PatientZero, I see you found your way here, I started in Reef keeping last November, so I'm real new, everything I've done has been because of what I've read here and so far everything has gone great, these guys are great and most have been there done that and know what works and what won't, you'll learn allot of good stuff here,

And as for shorts and sandles, you better buy some, After a while you'll start wearing them I guaranty it !

Good luck on your move !

make sure to visit us at Aquarium in Motion here is Riverside. We are located at 3812 Pierce St. Riverside, CA 92503. 951-688-3474 We are on the corner of Pierce and Magnolia. Stop by and let me know your the one that moved from the midwest and I'll make sure your 1st visit here is worthwhile

Thanks Jason

and while your at it enjoy this nice cold coke, and some pizza hut pan pizza.
and some (place your add here), just messin with ya jason. seriously though, AIM is a great shop.
and a side note, i moved from the midwest, where the heck is my hook up!

Jon with no H your no longer considered a midwesterner your one of us now beach bums surf, dive, fish and work in the Navy as a squid should i say more!!!!!!

As far as never wearing sandals, i give you two months before you no longer own regular shoes! I used to claim the same, coming from the southwest (having something between my toes was to weird). Now you cant get me out of my sandals. Anyways welcome

Thanks, you are all very welcoming. I dont know if I will be giving up my boots, yes I wear army issue combat boots, or my docs anytime soon, but I may be willing to try shorts. One step at a time...

As far as tanks go, my goal is to find a 33L and fill half with mangroves and have the other half a reef. Ive always wanted to have some mangroves as "house" plants. I have a T5 retro that I am keeping and I was thinking about putting that a few feet above the tank with some GE daylight bulbs and then maybe a clip on MH light over the other half. Who knows thogh right? Thats the beauty of starting over.

Yay! I just moved a few weeks ago and I am looking to set up a tank. I posted a WTB thread in the appropriate section. I am hoping to find a divided tank, like you would see at a LFS for inverts or small fish. I will be looking for more supplies since I sold EVERYTHING before I moved here, but I will need a tank first.

Hi SoCal!

It only took me 11 months to get a tank and get some water in it. I am excited to actually have a system running. Hopefully now I will be much more active in the reefkeeping community.

Oh, and Im still sporting the boots. Opent toe shoes are not allowed in the lab, so its easy to justify keeping them.
Derek