What kind of water is the best to use??

I dont know someone may have asked this before - but I would like to know what everyone uses?? Mixed or Catalina/Scripps water??? Is mixed better than ocean water?? or vise a versa??? :hmmmm:

i use scripps, and in my OPINION, scripps is better than mixed. you opened a big can of worms on this one, everyone has their own thoughts on this topic. from personal experience my fish do better, look better, and are more active when using scripps vs. mix.

Bebo77

scripps better then mixed... cant say thats true... as there are no real coral growing off the coast where the water is taken... now if it was water from Hawaii, Fiji etc... then i would agree....

last i heard scripps water was low in Ca and high in phosphates...

Last edited:
i can't say scripps is better than NSW either, since they are one in the same. low in ca, 410ppm, a little below the 450ppm everyone says it should be at, my corals don't seem to mind. high in phosphates, i have never noticed.

scripps better then NSW?... cant say thats true... as there are no real coral growing off the coast where the water is taken... now if it was water from Hawaii, Fiji etc... then i would agree....

last i heard scripps water was low in Ca and high in phosphates...
I also swear by scripps but have never tried mixing my own saltwater
Scripps is NSW guys

Umm what is NSW - sorry im a tard - but i use Catalina Water and it seems to work fine - but mixed is cheaper and the salt manufactures brag about how wonderful there salt is high in CA and have other beni's - that is the whole reason i asked - cause there sells pich is working - I am thinking about trying it and see

natural seawater, catalina is NSW as well, it never hurts to try a new product, see what you think. i'd start with a small pack of the salt first, instead of a big bucket, so if you don't like it, it doesn't set you back much $$$.

johnwah

umm... i think scripps... nsw... one giant tank.. just uses the moon as circulation pump.. i mix because its convenient.. there when i need it.. plus its a hassle to lug around water... i feel like a tard when i go to the store for water... feels like i went to the gas station... i hate opec..

I to swear by Scripps. Not just cause I sell it here but cause I also use it here. I dont add any calicum to the tank and the acros aways look good here.

my 2c i started off with Instant ocean and it was okkkk. Then did the catalina water. after that i did Scripps and a big difference in coral extension i noticed. also fish seamed more active.