our tanks and our health

Sorry to those who've read this already elsewhere.

I have been battling numerous random health issues for over a month now :help:. Been to the doctor many times, had 2 sets of labs done, and everything appears to be normal.....actually the labs show I should be in excellent condition. The symptoms have been everything from duodenitis to random hives and swelling to weakened immune system (colds, larangitis, sinus infection, etc.).

Well I was working on the tank yesterday for an extended period of time. I was using gloves, but noticed afterward that they were leaking. About an hour later I started itching like mad again, had swelling in my hands and feet and my (seemingly permanent) cold symptoms worsened. On one of my hands I have some cuts, and those areas were badly effected. Luckily I had another follow up appt. this morning and after discussing it with the doctor some more we are convinced I'm having some kind of reaction to something to do with the tank (of course we have no idea specifically what). He likened it to 'cat scratch fever'. So he's got me on a gaggle of new prescriptions :nurse: to hopefully alleviate the symptoms and will be testing more to try to find the exact cause.

I think we've all heard horror stories about tanks causing health problems. So I just wanted to put this warning out there.....take the necessary safety precautions when working with your tanks! It may seem silly or over the top, but the "never had an issue before" mentality can be dangerous (that's what got me here :rolleyes:). I've lost alot of time, interaction with my family, productivity at work, and my general sanity through this ordeal, which I'm still in the midst of with no end in sight, and would hate to see others go through it unnecessarily. I may have to resort to using a mask and everything.....just short of a haz-mat suit.....to work on the tank :eek:

BTW, I sincerely apologize to anyone who I've inconvenienced or is presently waiting on me. I've just not been able to function normally for a long time now. But it seems I'm finally on the right track to recovery. I hope my experience can help others avoid similar.....Happy Reefing guys :)

So if the tank uses ZEOvit you can't put your hands in it? Hmmmmm, thanks.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

SteveU

thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I'm in a little too deep to give it up right now.....like a crack addict :afraid: The ZEO comment is very interesting. I don't run ZEO and haven't heard this before. But I did start dosing Sponge Power right about the time this all started. Hmmmmm, :idea: I'm barking up every tree possible right now, so gonna have to include that in my testing, thanks :top:

Be careful for whom to use Zeovit....I got itching on the hand every time when I put my hand in the water. After I quite Zeo then my water looks normal I won't get itch any more when I put my hand in the water.
So if the tank uses ZEOvit you can't put your hands in it? Hmmmmm, thanks.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

SteveU
:hmpf::laugh:

thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I'm in a little too deep to give it up right now.....like a crack addict :afraid: The ZEO comment is very interesting. I don't run ZEO and haven't heard this before. But I did start dosing Sponge Power right about the time this all started. Hmmmmm, :idea: I'm barking up every tree possible right now, so gonna have to include that in my testing, thanks :top:

There are a lot of bacteria and other nasties in our tanks testing for them can be a pain. Sorry to hear about the issues you have been having and I hope you get better