changing tanks from reef to FOWLR and visa versa

Wannareef

here's what I'd like to do, I have 110g tall reef ( 48 X 18 X 32)and a 135g FOWLR(72X18X24), both are set up pretty much the same way, 110g 150 lbs of LR.DSB, 40G sump/refugium, asm g2 skimmer, (2) Koralia 3's,135g, 40 lbs of LR.bottom 1 1/2 " crushed coral sand bed and top of 1 1/2" LS' , 50G sump/refugium, asm g2 skimmer, ,(2) Koralia 4's I would like to switch the 2 tanks, Can I just take the rock, fish and coral and switch them over between each other, I'm thinking of doing a 50% water change on both, leave the sand bed alone and just switch everything over from to the other, maybe get new live sand for the 135g and take out the crushed coral, any input would be great, trying not to lose anything,

Rich

Wannareef

no copper was used in the tanks, was wondering if I should take out the crushed coral and LS that's in there now and replace it with all new LS, can I leave the same water thats in the tanks already, take fish out, swap rocks and reaclimate everything to the new tank, then once adjusted do a water change. to do a water change on both tanks, swap rocks and then reaclimate everythig will be a big under taking, trying to save a step or two.

i'd probably start water sharing between the two tanks. take a gallon from one, put in the other, take a gallon from the other put it in the one, so the perams are all the same in both tanks, then just do the swap, if you want to change the sand out, you will have to drain most of the water, take out the sand, drain the rest of the water and throw away. disturbing the sand bed will cause a BIG spike in ammonia, nitrates, bad stuff.

Latest posts