SPS Addiction

watchguy123

Featured Reef
wow mr mark. very impressive.
Thanks. Working at it.

About once a year or two Ill have an old established colony rtn. I have about 100 different Coral thriving in my tank without issue but rarely one will just start to rtn unrelated to a specific event. The following Coral did that and although I cut about six frags, this is the only one to survive. This is not a fast grower but it should get going once it gets just a little bit bigger. Glad I was able to save the one frag. It appears to be prettier this time around.

This is my Reef Raft Canada Wolverine. Starting to show some color

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Any pics of your gear?
Hate to say it but Im not much of a gear guy and Im one of those guys that is not meticulous with wiring and plumbing.

1) I have a chaeto Refugium lit by a Kessil h350 which is a lot of light for a Refugium
2) I have a mini Bubble King 200 protein skimmer sitting in my sump with a handful of bags of siporax
3) Marine Technical Pro-Cal Calcium Reactor-simple, old but pretty darn good
4) reeflo dart/snapper hybrid circulating pump getting old but still pumping
5) Jbj Arctica chillerI think 1/3 horsepower but it might be a 1/4 hp
6) really, really good fan blowing over top of water surface which makes chiller almost never on
7) Apex classic which runs everything
8) maxspect gyre 250 times two on controller thru apex for added flow
9) geissman metal halide/t5s combo. Three radium 20k 250 watt halide bulbs and four 80 watt ati blue plus t5s bulbs
10) reefbrite xho for supplement lightingthe blue glow
11). Two eheim jaeger 300watt heaters ( might be 250watts each?)
12) 180 gallon bowfrontthe bowfront sounded so clever buts its a mistake, good for viewing but terrible for photography. Thats why all the top down shots
13) Tunze ato with ro/di 25 gallon reservoir

Hate to say it but Im not much of a gear guy and Im one of those guys that is not meticulous with wiring and plumbing.

1) I have a chaeto Refugium lit by a Kessil h350 which is a lot of light for a Refugium
2) I have a mini Bubble King 200 protein skimmer sitting in my sump with a handful of bags of siporax
6) really, really good fan blowing over top of water surface which makes chiller almost never on
9) geissman metal halide/t5s combo. Three radium 20k 250 watt halide bulbs and four 80 watt ati blue plus t5s bulbs
12) 180 gallon bowfrontthe bowfront sounded so clever buts its a mistake, good for viewing but terrible for photography. Thats why all the top down shots

When I saw your corals I knew you were running halides
I miss my Radium bulbs :(
Very nice corals !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build

Can you go over your maintenance routine? How often do you do a water change? Type of salt? How do you control your phosphate and nitrate? Fish load? Love love your tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watchguy123

Featured Reef
how big is your refugee
I think my refugium is about 20 gallons or so

I have had this acro for a very long time but it seems to be slowly morphing colors in particular the polyps are changing to a beautiful golden yellow. I think the color changes are awesome. I don't know what leads an acro to morph, but I am glad this one is adding some fascinating color after being in the tank for such a long time.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
I think my refugium is about 20 gallons or so

I have had this acro for a very long time but it seems to be slowly morphing colors in particular the polyps are changing to a beautiful golden yellow. I think the color changes are awesome. I don't know what leads an acro to morph, but I am glad this one is adding some fascinating color after being in the tank for such a long time.

for me, led has made coral morph colors.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
those reefbrites are leds
LOL, I am pretty sure I knew that. I have heard of color morphing with LED's without any other lighting and my point was that my primary lighting is metal halides and t5s. On the other hand, almost nobody seems to use three different lighting schemes over one tank so maybe it is just the unique property of any LED light, regardless of other lighting combinations, that lends toward color morphing. I wish I knew just because it is fascinating.

So a metal halide only picture of the nicest elegance coral that I have owned. I have only had it for about 2 or 3 weeks and it is looking great for now. Sometimes it looks yellow and other times, yellow-green. It has blue tips but this picture did not demonstrate that very well. I included the many fish so that you could perhaps get some color reference.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
LOL, I am pretty sure I knew that. I have heard of color morphing with LED's without any other lighting and my point was that my primary lighting is metal halides and t5s. On the other hand, almost nobody seems to use three different lighting schemes over one tank so maybe it is just the unique property of any LED light, regardless of other lighting combinations, that lends toward color morphing. I wish I knew just because it is fascinating.

So a metal halide only picture of the nicest elegance coral that I have owned. I have only had it for about 2 or 3 weeks and it is looking great for now. Sometimes it looks yellow and other times, yellow-green. It has blue tips but this picture did not demonstrate that very well. I included the many fish so that you could perhaps get some color reference.

nice elegance. i would like to try one of those again one of these days

Speaker73

Premium Member
Supporter

If my elegance corals looked like that o would never have given them away!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

watchguy123

Featured Reef
nice elegance. i would like to try one of those again one of these days
If my elegance corals looked like that o would never have given them away!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
I have never had an elegance last longer than a month or two. They all seem to suffer from ECS ( elegance coral syndrome) and ultimately perish. And after each attempt, I swear Ill never get another. So this is probably my 5th or 6 th over the years, cant seem to stop trying to find a healthy specimen

It seems that the thinking is that the Indonesian ones are all likely contaminated and that Australian ones have a better chance of not being contaminated, possibly. Whether this is correct or not, I dont really know. Just repeating what I have read. ECS is highly contagious apparently so any elegance exposed to it such in a wholesalers holding tank, will perish.

Hopefully this elegance coral will thrive. It certainly is really pretty. On to a different coral:

BPC Flamethrower chalice

My frag is small but pretty. Ive had it for some months and it is a slow grower for me.

Latest posts