SPS Addiction

watchguy123

Featured Reef
So finishing up the LPS for now, my space invader pectinia is awesome. Its in the very back corner of my tank and hard to photograph so you may need to use your imagination to appreciate how cool this thing is. Enjoy

watchguy123

Featured Reef
I have a very wonderful Rommel's watermelon millie but I can't quite capture the yellow, red, orange and everything else in this colony. But it is definitely worthy of being shared:

In this next photo, is another colony started from a frag, I got from this forum by a local reefer. It looks a little bit like a red planet in other words cool red/burgurndy but its growth pattern is much different. It does not encrust much but prefers to extend out (does that mean tabling) and its growing tips can be very white. That is pretty unusual and very cool. Polyps are wonderfully extended but most of my frags have good polyp extension (yes, that is a modest attempt at boasting, maybe not so modest). But check out the chalices below. The far left chalice is jayda's watermelon which I have previously shared. But below the SPs colony is Reef Hot Spot Del Sol ( I might have missed a word in there, it might be more than just del sol). Anyway, it is very red, very brilliant and you almost never see it. I have not seen it since Reef Hot Spot disappeared .

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Check out this stag, it is at the top of my tank, centered and with amazing flow. It is sending branches out and getting more crowded and thicker, don't know how else to describe it. I also have never seen anything like it. I have its name on my acquisition map that remember is downstairs, in the bathroom cupboard, covered by reef stuff like empty egg crate shelves, empty magnesium containers, just the usual stuff. Yes, I will get it shortly. Not to be distracted this is an awesome stag and the color is pretty much right on.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Okay lousy picture of very cool coral, reef tek starburst. Big yellow polyps on bright orange base. Picture is crappy and the yellow polyps on this picture are not very extended. Yes, I owe everyone a better pic and I will eventually get it. So a little imagination is good. And the white stuff is sand sitting on the colony, oops.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
So finally a picture of my red planet colony. And my Palmer's blue millie. I thought how cool to get this mix of colors right next to each other. Well, apparently the red planet does not play nicely. It stung the heck out the Palmer's blue millie when their encrusting bases touched. No problem, a little reef cement over the touching spot and now everyone is happy. Well at least, until they touch again. I kind of wonder if they sting a bunch of times, if they will eventually become tolerant of each other. It looks like I am destined to discover the truth of that or not.

You gotta admit, it is two very pretty colonies. And kudo's to the photographer and reefer, yes that is me.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Hey, anyone notice the very cool green palawanesi in the above photo. Encrusting with huge verrucae. I have no idea if any of those words are correctly spelled but I assume if not, someone will kindly let me know.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Okay, a purple polyped nasuta. That is very cool. Photo might be a little blurry but heck, use your imagination, it is really quite awesome.

And if we are on purple, how about the purple monster. It is up very high, lots of flow and very happy. It is notorious as a slow grower but I am impressed by both its encrusting and branch growth. Got this from Copps, well known reefer but not local.

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident (IEMAS)
Supporter
My Tank Build
You're doing great, and will make a few people (johnwin) jealous with your purple monster

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

watchguy123

Featured Reef
So lets talk about pink, lots of pinks sps

Love bird's nest, especially pink with green tips

or how about pink smoothie digitata, also got this from a local reefer who has dynamite frags. Great piece and just starting to explode with growth. Look at those pink polyps, gotta love them

or how about this pink dahlia, from a reefer back east. Keep it low he said, and it does look happy. wow an sps that is not a light hog.

And which of these, do you think is the real pink lemonade

or this one

watchguy123

Featured Reef
this is from a local reefer, and I am sure no one will guess who it is, that had this colony that almost but not really looked like WT Mother of Pearl (MOP) except it apparently didn't. But I have a frag of Pearl of the pacific, that grows like a weed and that I really wished look like MOP but it really doesn't look like it all. But it is still awesome, and I am glad that I have it. I am sure if the local reefer wants to make himself known then he will.(but he does not need too, which will not stop him anyway). But credit is due where credit is due.
The pearl of the pacific is the colony on the left half side of the photo with purple tips and green polyps, kind of in a fuzzy focus. Hey, they can't all be perfect shots (maybe none of them are even close to perfect, anyway)

watchguy123

Featured Reef
I purchased this frag from another eastern reefer, its a Bubble gum millie and really pretty, the contrasting blue and red are very vivid. It does not grow all that fast and likes to keep a kind of thick body shape. It as pretty as the vivid's tri-color prostrata but a little different looking (readily distinguishable from each other)

watchguy123

Featured Reef
This is a garf's bonsai from the top down. It lets you see the pretty green polyps enmasse. This is a hard coral for me to photograph because the polyps cause a shimmer to make the photograph always look kind of out of focus. Its a classic and beautiful. What makes the garf bonsai so unusual and distinctive is the "bonsai" growth pattern. If it does not look like a bonsai, then it is just a pretty valida and not the famous, classic garf's bonsai (atleast in my opinion, I could be wrong but oh, what the heck , who knows anyway, if you want to call what you have a garf's bonsai, just go ahead and do it.)

through the front glass:

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Found another picture of the Pearl of the pacific and it really is pretty. Bullitr is the famous discoverer or namer of this very pretty acro. Hopefully, I have labeled this coral accurately. I think it is very cool for a fellow reefer to discover or isolate something that is truly beautiful and then share it with the rest of us. I get that none of us, "create" the coral, but noticing something special or recognizing that a coral might have morphed in our tank is awesome. Anyway, kudos to Bullitr.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Found a couple of coral shots of green acros. Not everyone loves green but when it is bright or fluoresces that is awesome.

the first is a frogskin or ..., got to find my acquisition map. Anyway it is pretty.

Light up the reef, this is so bright.

Check out the mottled base and the fluorescent green tips, its a small frag beginning to show some pretty good looking color.

And this last one is not green, but I wanted to share it anyway, another oldie: ORA Joe the coral (I got the name right didn't I). The blue tips are much more vivid in person. I also need to retake this photo and see if I can get better color realization. And that is the Nick's pink dahlia in the upper left corner of this photo. And if you look carefully, there is a few polyps of the UFO micromussa in the lower right hand corner

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Getting back to pink, I forgot to include the cousin of strawberry shortcake. No that is not its real name, it has no real name, it is unnamed. That sounds kind of sad. Anyway, I bought this from a fellow reefer in southern cal who said the frag was strawberry shortcake and he photographs all his stuff so they look pretty darn good and then when you see them in his tank they look just kind of right, but maybe not really. Its when you look at the frag, and you want it to look right, but it just does not look right, the coloring is not exactly what it is supposed to look like. But then you have driven so far, taken so much time out of your day, and would feel guilty saying that the coral looks kind of funky for a strawberry shortcake. So I just said to him, "are you sure that is a strawberry shortcake" and he says "I got it from the wholesaler direct and absolutely it is". And then you glue it in your tank and wait months and months for it to look like a strawberry shortcake and alas it is never ever going to look like the strawberry shortcake. Nonetheless, I love this coral. It has a great pink and green color to it but just not the pink and green of the strawberry shortcake. So I named it cousin of strawbery shortcake (that name is for me to remember the story and it is not like a real name), and anatomically it looks kind of like strawberry shortcake (probably comes from Australia). That's a lot of info, probably too much. So this is a pretty acro and one of my many favorites (every coral I have is one of my favorites).

watchguy123

Featured Reef
So I have shared a couple of blue corals and I want to add to the list of blues.

I got this from a great fellow reefer who sells on this forum, great frags, all beautiful and spectacular. Its Blueberry fields or is it blueberry fields forever. When you google this name, you confusingly find a bunch of very different acros. I do not know what to make of that. But I have gotten a number of named frags from him, he knows all the old time players in reefing and i believe he is truly accurate in what he sells. It is a stunning coral, took a little while to get going, but it is now really growing quite fast (I think most of us have had exact experience with growth, takes a while for frag to establish itself and then it just blooms with growth.)

I just love this baby blue echinata

Check out this gorgeous blue acro, I can not remember its name off the top of my head but it is on my acquisition map.

Steve Elias stag, it is gorgeous and I think I have three colonies growing in my tank because they are so pretty.

And although I have shown it before, here is a different view and pic of Palmer's blue matrix and the red planet. You can see the cement (putty) I put between the two to deal with the chemotactic warfare (stinging) of their encrusting bases.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Here are a couple of absolutely wild acros. Not wild in they got chopped off some reef in Australia but wild like wow, isn't that amazing.

I once again need to get the name of this, but it looks like dragon blood, I will go find my list of coral, acquisition map. Anyway, irregardless of its name, pretty darn cool. I guess in retrospect I have a lot of named corals but I have a lot of unnamed corals. I think the bottom-line is if its pretty, it does not need a name.

This is the SCC halloween millie, it has not reached its potential and I may have it so far back in the tank that lighting may also be playing a role. It is pretty

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Only have a blurry picture of the Jason fox lepto. But even blurry, this is an amazing piece. got this from a great local reefer, on SOCALIREEFS.com sale forum. He is the best, great stuff, reasonable prices and really nice guy. Its on a 2 inch plug although in the photo, it looks like a two foot plug

watchguy123

Featured Reef
And found a photo that has tips of pearlberry in upper left hand side, rommel's watermelon millie in center, below and to the left is a small colony of mystic sunset montipora, lower right hand corner is cousin of strawberry shortcake, and upper right hand corner is nick's bubble gum millie. The picture is overexposed so everything is a little washed out but still awesome. You can see where the mystic sunset encrusted upto the Rommel's watermelon milllid, and got stung and there is some visible white dieback on the mystic sunset monti. Some corals do not play well with others. Oh and you can see to the right of the rommels watermelon millie, a small sunset montipora frag. And in the top left hand corner, is the base of a lime in the sky acro. there is also an orange monti in the center that I can't remember the name of cause I have not finished my coffee for the morning yet (got it, montipora setosa). Oh and a tyree aquataberculata, kind of center near the top, it has a green base with red polyps and little out of focus (hey, I am still learning how to photograph, a little slack is in order)

Latest posts