SPS Addiction

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Is there any SPS your tank has trouble with?
I only show off the good stuff. I have multiple frags that sit dormant for months up to two years. I hate giving up on what I hope will grow into something special. Plus there are certain frags that just never get happy or thrive in my tank. Im
0 for three with RR USA firecracker. I just rtnd a rainbow chalice and I didnt even know they could rtn. So I have my fair share of failures. Whether its flow, lighting or chemistry, sps have lots of reasons to get or be unhappy. Oh, I want but cant seem to make a Millie happy in my tank. I get excited by what thrives and stoic about the ones that dont

watchguy123

Featured Reef
I have been busy for a while, lots of traveling. So doing fun things. The tank is really stable. I will try to share more pictures although it may be a bit boring, same colonies over and over again. I like picture taking and whether it shows or not, I keep trying to improve my photograph skills. Sometimes pictures come out well and other times, not so well.

Here is a couple from a few minutes ago. Reefbrites.

Z's Blue Floyd

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Cool favia. Who is z btw. I see that you have a lot of his pieces
Thanks. Z is perhaps the best reef farmer that I have ever seen. He has an intuitive sense with SPS and manages to pull the most amazing colors and growth. He is my 5 year old grandson. I started naming corals in response to a vendor purchasing some of my frags and naming it. I thought that was kind of crazy, so I thought I would name some of my more unusual coral. Like many of us in the hobby for a long time, we all develop different sources for finding exceptional coral and occasionally I end up with the only known frag survivor of something that is really pretty. I first started naming corals as a kind of tongue in cheek response to the craziness of names but my names stuck, so...

Z's Yellow Eyed Jawdropper ------- Grows super slow but has really pretty colors and yellow polyps

Z's Favorite --------- This is being shaded by a 6 inch diameter colony of JF Flame and so I have been trimming back the offending colony. You can see the color developing on the branches now getting some light vs the green shaded portion.

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Thank you for sharing. Its a cool backstory. I was scratching my head thinking/asking who is z,I want to see his tank. He has such cool stuff

That coral is dope on how it will change depending on the lighting. Corals are so fascinating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Thank you for sharing. Its a cool backstory. I was scratching my head thinking/asking who is z,I want to see his tank. He has such cool stuff
I have been through so many different lighting schemes through the years. I currently use metal halides, t5s and reefbrites. I used to hate the look of blue LEDs but now I really embrace that look. Even thinking about changing my light scheme once again to eventually all radions. It is a very individual choice as to what lighting anyone prefers from white to deep blue. And it is crazy how the different lighting schemes effect the colors we see

Zs Knees

I have been through so many different lighting schemes through the years. I currently use metal halides, t5s and reefbrites. I used to hate the look of blue LEDs but now I really embrace that look. Even thinking about changing my light scheme once again to eventually all radions. It is a very individual choice as to what lighting anyone prefers from white to deep blue. And it is crazy how the different lighting schemes effect the colors we see

Zs Knees

Your pictures makes me want to try sps again for my new tank. This thread and Vs thread makes me want to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Any favorites or things you couldnt part with?
That is just too hard too answer, LOL

How about some non SPS just for fun. I have these scattered around the tank, mainly near the bottom but some are up higher for contrast.

Plus one more RR USA Pink Floyd with my Z's Pink Cotton Candy

Some contrast corals

[?IMG]
[?IMG]