SPS Addiction

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Found a better pic of my tyree true undata

and thought I would sneak in a pic of a tiny tyree original watermelon that is recovering from a spill, it fell over onto another coral, you know how that goes. It is doing well now.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Since I started with a montipora, here are a couple more

Sunset monti:

and another view of it, the arrow points to one of my many colonies of mystic sunset but all from one frag that has been refragged and planted around the tank.

and mystic sunset monti and I think it is Tyree but got to go look that one up.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
So my tank is a bow front and with curved glass, it is difficult to get a focussed (did I spell that right) shot. I have done a lot of top down photos with my do it yourself (DIY) acrylic viewing box. Here is a view of that.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
I will find pics of the gaff bonsai, really cool dragon's blood (I have to look up its real name which i may have gotten correct or not), snow cone millie (gotta check accuracy of name, will do that later as well) that you can see in the above pic. I have somewhere of around 100 unique corals (frags) growing. I have a map of all my acquisitions but it is under the sink, downstairs, in the bathroom cupboard with a bunch of reef stuff sitting on top of it and I don't feel like getting it out quite yet.

Got this from a fellow reefer here in Socal:

Its SCC planet earth, I got it as a 1/2 inch frag and I have never seen a colony of it in anyone's tank. I think it is pretty darn awesome.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Got to go to work this morning, running late to get a few pics posted. This is the sapphire millie I believe. The main stalk (original frag) has beautiful green (sapphire) polyps and the new growth is brilliant blue polyps. I think this might also be called the metallic millie. It is beautiful. I will look the name up on my acquisition map. Either way it is stunning.

Oh and behind it and out of focus (upper right hand corner) is a frag I got at Vivids. It was bright pink but then I placed it down low in my tank, and it looks kind of like a red planet. Green and red polyps depending on light, etc. It was not sold as a red planet and in fact might pink up if placed in higher lighting. And it is down low but adds a spot of color in a tough spot to have cool colors in (low in the tank) I am not sure that is a real sentence or if it makes sense but now I am really late for work. Later....

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident (IEMAS)
Supporter
My Tank Build
The colors on everything are looking great! When you get the colors dialed in on the camera settings i am anxious to see an updated photo of the blue tip/red coralite/yellow body (looks like a nasuta?) acro.

The sps coral store was at IE CFM, he said they have a retail shop- when i get home from work ill post up the address on the business card

watchguy123

Featured Reef
The colors on everything are looking great! When you get the colors dialed in on the camera settings i am anxious to see an updated photo of the blue tip/red coralite/yellow body (looks like a nasuta?) acro.

The sps coral store was at IE CFM, he said they have a retail shop- when i get home from work ill post up the address on the business card
I don't think it is a nasuta, I have three of them and they look so different. On the other hand, I am easily confused (particularly with coral and coral anatomy)

Congratulations! You persisted, found your winning fomula for SPS & are sustaining it. Great story, nice shots & awesome looking SPS. :rock:

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident (IEMAS)
Supporter
My Tank Build
I don't think it is a nasuta, I have three of them and they look so different. On the other hand, I am easily confused (particularly with coral and coral anatomy)
Are there any corals you are looking for currently? Maybe someone here might have a frag or 2 to give or trade w/ you

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Well, day of work is over and I am finally sitting in front of my computer and ready to share some coral photos.

So I know I said I SPS addiction but I have about 30 or 40 chalices. Not the outrageously expensive, crazy chalices, just the regular expensive chalices. I have not taken many pictures of them but here are a couple;

A no name from Tat's

I believe this is a vivid's pink boobie (someone correct me if I got it wrong) Started out like most chalice frags, like a 1/4 inch round and now it is about 4 or 5 inches round. It is happy.

another image of the pink boobies with a couple of other chalices included

Don't you just love the mummy eye. It is bright and spectacular and just regular expensive, not crazy expensive.

This is jayda's watermelon and like all my chalices started out like 1/4 or 1/3 inch round frags and now a couple inches or so in diameter. A little love, patience and look what you get.

A little bazooka joe. I think anything that sounds like bubble gum is cool.

Isn't this mango something, gotta go find my cheat sheet.

I might have shared this one already but it is worth a second look

And although this is not a chalice, its just an LPS, it is awesome. A tyree pastel war coral but check out how pink it is. I have another colony from another reefer and it is no way as cool as this colony.

Another LPS that is not a chalice but oh so sweet. It was sold to me as the PPE chalice which is really a favia but this is not the real deal PPE favia/chalice. I am not blaming the reefer, with lots of coral and even the most honorable of intentions, sometimes we all get confused about what we have or think we have. I have the real PPE chalice but I am not sure I have a photo of that but I will take a look for it as well.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Found a few more chalice pics, so I will share those and then get back to SPS (wow, I have hijacked my own thread)

another view of the tyree original watermelon

another view of the mummy eye

another view of the mango something (is it mango sherbet), these pictures were all when I first started snapping shots and so I may have not quite captured the color correctly or maybe I did. But they are cool

another repeat but different angle:

Yellow rim chalice with awesome colors, the contrasts are amazing. I do not believe this is a named chalice but hey, so what, I like it and was not $500 an eye. I am not disparaging pricing, rare, exciting and limited supply frags develop their own market and kudos to anyone selling or buying them. There are lots of options, and we all spend our money however we feel fit about it. If you got the dough, its cool. (no price bashing here) Oh and you can buy an eye of my unnamed chalice for $400 an eye--just kidding.

Latest posts