Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

danggg
    "only if you are special"
    ur tank must be amazing...lol i like your confidence
    healthy sps is pretty rare in socali..

Quote Originally Posted by watchguy123 View Post
    You know an FTS requires probably a third or fourth date atleast and then only if you are special. So no FTS yet.

But here is a cool piece, with lots of potential (and maybe thats all) from Vivid's. I am hoping it shows more color than just the green. But the green is a very pretty and kind of unusual color anyway, so I guess if it never got better, I would still like it (is that to many commas in one sentence, thats why I switched to the parentheses )

Close up:

And hope you notice in the first picture the Tyree true undata, it is starting to look good even though way down low in the tank.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus27 View Post
    These corals seem very happy in your reef! I've heard SPS's are for experienced reefers, is that true? I'd love to start with some 'beginners' SPS, what would you suggest to be a good beginners sps? thanks!
    You know there is no really easy answer to that. The starting point to acquiring corals, starts with a stable tank. You need to understand, salinity, alkalinity, pH, magnesium, calcium, lighting, filtration, nitrates, phosphates and more. There are a lot of parameters to understand and evaluate on a regular and frequent basis. It is not hard, but it takes some time to keep your tank parameters stable and its inhabitants happy. I think slow and easy is the best advice. Fish only till you get the saltwater routine down. Some people think LPS are easier than SPS. I think SPS from aquariums that have hopefully been transferred from tank to tank over generations, usually demonstrate pretty good survivability. You know this stuff gets expensive and they are all living creatures so it is sad when anything dies. And it is great when your spa are happy, polyps extended and growing.

IEMAS President 10'-14' cymaster007's Avatar
    Name
    Cylix
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesommmeee I really like that kiwi strawberry piece!! Have you checked out spscoral store or garretts acropolis?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    Over 700 gallons of wonderful saltwater tanks.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the next coral is amazing and I am somewhat hesitant to show this picture, because it is so much cooler in person. I can't quite get the red polyps, blue tips and kind of yellow body to pop like it does in the tank. I will keep taking photos and see if I can come up with a more accurate representation. But for a lousy shot, this coral is awesome. It is the last for the nite but I got a boat load more to share and I will keep posting in the days to follow.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cymaster007 View Post
    Awesommmeee I really like that kiwi strawberry piece!! Have you checked out spscoral store or garretts acropolis?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    Garretts acropolis is amazing. And I have purchased many frags from him but none recently just because he is far from me. His stuff is absolutely extraordinary and the way he grows stuff. It is a field trip worth taking and he is a really cool guy.

I have purchase from SPS store at Reefapalooza but I am unaware if they ever opened up a retail outfit. They always have beautiful frags and the most extraordinary colors.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta end the evening with a photo so, one more:

This is I believe a Tyree blue matrix and it is stunning.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found a better pic of my tyree true undata

and thought I would sneak in a pic of a tiny tyree original watermelon that is recovering from a spill, it fell over onto another coral, you know how that goes. It is doing well now.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I started with a montipora, here are a couple more

Sunset monti:

and another view of it, the arrow points to one of my many colonies of mystic sunset but all from one frag that has been refragged and planted around the tank.

and mystic sunset monti and I think it is Tyree but got to go look that one up.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So my tank is a bow front and with curved glass, it is difficult to get a focussed (did I spell that right) shot. I have done a lot of top down photos with my do it yourself (DIY) acrylic viewing box. Here is a view of that.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will find pics of the gaff bonsai, really cool dragon's blood (I have to look up its real name which i may have gotten correct or not), snow cone millie (gotta check accuracy of name, will do that later as well) that you can see in the above pic. I have somewhere of around 100 unique corals (frags) growing. I have a map of all my acquisitions but it is under the sink, downstairs, in the bathroom cupboard with a bunch of reef stuff sitting on top of it and I don't feel like getting it out quite yet.

Got this from a fellow reefer here in Socal:

Its SCC planet earth, I got it as a 1/2 inch frag and I have never seen a colony of it in anyone's tank. I think it is pretty darn awesome.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got to go to work this morning, running late to get a few pics posted. This is the sapphire millie I believe. The main stalk (original frag) has beautiful green (sapphire) polyps and the new growth is brilliant blue polyps. I think this might also be called the metallic millie. It is beautiful. I will look the name up on my acquisition map. Either way it is stunning.

Oh and behind it and out of focus (upper right hand corner) is a frag I got at Vivids. It was bright pink but then I placed it down low in my tank, and it looks kind of like a red planet. Green and red polyps depending on light, etc. It was not sold as a red planet and in fact might pink up if placed in higher lighting. And it is down low but adds a spot of color in a tough spot to have cool colors in (low in the tank) I am not sure that is a real sentence or if it makes sense but now I am really late for work. Later....

IEMAS President 10'-14' cymaster007's Avatar
    Name
    Cylix
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The colors on everything are looking great! When you get the colors dialed in on the camera settings i am anxious to see an updated photo of the blue tip/red coralite/yellow body (looks like a nasuta?) acro.

The sps coral store was at IE CFM, he said they have a retail shop- when i get home from work ill post up the address on the business card
    Over 700 gallons of wonderful saltwater tanks.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cymaster007 View Post
    The colors on everything are looking great! When you get the colors dialed in on the camera settings i am anxious to see an updated photo of the blue tip/red coralite/yellow body (looks like a nasuta?) acro.

The sps coral store was at IE CFM, he said they have a retail shop- when i get home from work ill post up the address on the business card
    I don't think it is a nasuta, I have three of them and they look so different. On the other hand, I am easily confused (particularly with coral and coral anatomy)

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations! You persisted, found your winning fomula for SPS & are sustaining it. Great story, nice shots & awesome looking SPS.

large angelfish killer
    Name
    Lawrence
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great jobs sir !

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information