Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few pictures, blue led shots

Z's Superman

Z's Favorite

Z's Yellow Eyed Jawdropper

Reef Raft USA Firecracker (and yes, it is NOT supposed to be green, but it is encrusting and I think getting some color in it, have to stayed tune to see if I can get it to color up correctly)

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Z’s Pink Cotton Candy

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

very impressive as always. What does the "Z" stand for in the in name of the corals?
    60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. 30G nano, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15

6. Likes mannyhernz liked this post
    Contributing Member
    Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
    very impressive as always. What does the "Z" stand for in the in name of the corals?
    Z is the name of his secret SPS friend that he gets all his nice acros from. It
    HOT DOGS ARE GOOD!!!

Registered Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That question has been asked many times. This about the closest to an answer i have seen from Mark.

There really is no secret. They all start out as frags. I don't buy colonies, too much potential for pests and more importantly it's not as much fun for me to start with a colony. I started out in the hobby caring only about color and not about names. I did finally get caught up with names for a while. Primarily because I wanted a frag that would grow into exactly like the colony I saw a picture of and although I don't want to admit to it probably some snobbery as well. I've learned a lot over the years about tank to tank differences, morphing corals, corals that grow so slow that I'll never be around to see them into colonies and pretty frags that grow into ugly colonies.

Anyway, if I locate something with potential or atleast I believe or someone suggests it has all kinds of potential and six patient months to a year later, I may end up with a couple of pretty mini colonies and the rest are simply expensive junk that I ultimately cut off of my rock scape. Southern California has so many hobbyists, retailers, wholesalers that it proves pretty fertile ground. But I have had the joy of visiting Florida and Toronto also where there are incredible beauties. I don't have any special connections except for a handful of serious reefer buddies and after buying so many frags over the years, I have made friends with some LFS owners, vendors and even a couple wholesalers. I am crazy about acros. So finally after all these years of being in the hobby, if I find something unusual, and it thrives in my tank, I now may give it a name. Names get maligned and abused by everyone it seems. There are lots of vendors that copy the "name" of a coral from another vendor for a different coral altogether. I originally was going to use numbers instead of names. The naming started as a tongue in cheek sort of thing. What I have learned is sometimes names stick even when you start out calling it Z something.

I find this an extraordinary hobby. We all spend a lot of time with our tank minus our spouses or friends because to them it's often just a fish tank. My wife is extremely supportive but it is not her interest. I think it is pretty cool that through this forum we get a window into so many reefers homes and tanks and make a friend or two along the way.

9. Thanks lowbudget thanked for this post
    Likes theMerchant, lowbudget, Mr V liked this post
    Registered Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a quote from Watchguy Mark or yourself also Mark who must know Watchguy Mark quite well. I am trying to following the story of some great coral keeping, awesome photography too....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Is this a quote from Watchguy Mark or yourself also Mark who must know Watchguy Mark quite well. I am trying to following the story of some great coral keeping, awesome photography too....

I think that came from the magazine article

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. 30G nano, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15

Registered Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I wasn’t clear in my post. That was a direct quote from Mark earlier this year on one of the other forums in the sps section.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by swnoob View Post
    Sorry I wasn’t clear in my post. That was a direct quote from Mark earlier this year on one of the other forums in the sps section.
    To erase any confusion, I go by both Mark and watchguy123, indeed one and the same. As to the secret about Z which I think I have actually shared before: He is perhaps the best coral grower that I have ever seen. His ability to pull colors out of acro is legendary. He is my four year old grandson.

These next two shots are with blue leds which currently is my favorite light to take pictures under and for obvious reason. I am an old style reefer, well more accurately I am just older. I was initially so dismayed and frustrated by blue leds invading the hobby and now that I stopped resisting, I really think they are amazing. You don't see this vibrance under metal halides but when the reefbrite blue Xho's are on, it is an amazing display of color and fluorescence.

Reef Raft Canada Orange Passion and Reef Raft USA Pink Floyd (One of my rare through the front glass pictures)

Z's Pink Cotton Candy (it came out blurry but I still wanted to share)

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That Z's pink cotton candy is super nice. how big is your colony?

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
    That Z's pink cotton candy is super nice. how big is your colony?
    The colony is probably three or four inches in diameter but still kind of lanky not real thick or dense yet.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

17. Likes Smite, joseserrano liked this post
    Reefologist
    Name
    John L
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by watchguy123 View Post

You have any frags of this Mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by El Dude View Post

A drug deal went bad in Ciudad Juarez. He caught a slug in the ankle. He went to the doctor El Magico, who is a midget, to take the slug out. El Magico only takes frags in trade. Now John is in deep with the midget and if he doesn't come up with the frags El Magico is gonna put another slug in the other ankle.

But what do I know...?

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556

Thread Information