SPS Addiction

watchguy123

Featured Reef
A few pictures, blue led shots

Z's Superman

Z's Favorite

Z's Yellow Eyed Jawdropper

Reef Raft USA Firecracker (and yes, it is NOT supposed to be green, but it is encrusting and I think getting some color in it, have to stayed tune to see if I can get it to color up correctly)

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
very impressive as always. What does the "Z" stand for in the in name of the corals?

swnoob

That question has been asked many times. This about the closest to an answer i have seen from Mark.

There really is no secret. They all start out as frags. I don't buy colonies, too much potential for pests and more importantly it's not as much fun for me to start with a colony. I started out in the hobby caring only about color and not about names. I did finally get caught up with names for a while. Primarily because I wanted a frag that would grow into exactly like the colony I saw a picture of and although I don't want to admit to it probably some snobbery as well. I've learned a lot over the years about tank to tank differences, morphing corals, corals that grow so slow that I'll never be around to see them into colonies and pretty frags that grow into ugly colonies.

Anyway, if I locate something with potential or atleast I believe or someone suggests it has all kinds of potential and six patient months to a year later, I may end up with a couple of pretty mini colonies and the rest are simply expensive junk that I ultimately cut off of my rock scape. Southern California has so many hobbyists, retailers, wholesalers that it proves pretty fertile ground. But I have had the joy of visiting Florida and Toronto also where there are incredible beauties. I don't have any special connections except for a handful of serious reefer buddies and after buying so many frags over the years, I have made friends with some LFS owners, vendors and even a couple wholesalers. I am crazy about acros. So finally after all these years of being in the hobby, if I find something unusual, and it thrives in my tank, I now may give it a name. Names get maligned and abused by everyone it seems. There are lots of vendors that copy the "name" of a coral from another vendor for a different coral altogether. I originally was going to use numbers instead of names. The naming started as a tongue in cheek sort of thing. What I have learned is sometimes names stick even when you start out calling it Z something.

I find this an extraordinary hobby. We all spend a lot of time with our tank minus our spouses or friends because to them it's often just a fish tank. My wife is extremely supportive but it is not her interest. I think it is pretty cool that through this forum we get a window into so many reefers homes and tanks and make a friend or two along the way.

sandman

Is this a quote from Watchguy Mark or yourself also Mark who must know Watchguy Mark quite well. I am trying to following the story of some great coral keeping, awesome photography too....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Is this a quote from Watchguy Mark or yourself also Mark who must know Watchguy Mark quite well. I am trying to following the story of some great coral keeping, awesome photography too....

I think that came from the magazine article

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

swnoob

Sorry I wasn’t clear in my post. That was a direct quote from Mark earlier this year on one of the other forums in the sps section.

watchguy123

Featured Reef

Sorry I wasn’t clear in my post. That was a direct quote from Mark earlier this year on one of the other forums in the sps section.
To erase any confusion, I go by both Mark and watchguy123, indeed one and the same. As to the secret about Z which I think I have actually shared before: He is perhaps the best coral grower that I have ever seen. His ability to pull colors out of acro is legendary. He is my four year old grandson.

These next two shots are with blue leds which currently is my favorite light to take pictures under and for obvious reason. I am an old style reefer, well more accurately I am just older. I was initially so dismayed and frustrated by blue leds invading the hobby and now that I stopped resisting, I really think they are amazing. You don't see this vibrance under metal halides but when the reefbrite blue Xho's are on, it is an amazing display of color and fluorescence.

Reef Raft Canada Orange Passion and Reef Raft USA Pink Floyd (One of my rare through the front glass pictures)

Z's Pink Cotton Candy (it came out blurry but I still wanted to share)

watchguy123

Featured Reef
You have any frags of this Mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, unfortunately no frags of that one yet. It really is still too small to frag. I am flattered that you noticed it though. The blue polyps are really bright and they stand out so well against the almost white body color. Maybe it will be ready to frag in the summer..

Latest posts