Bayer Insecticide as a coral dip

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
I don't think it matters. Honestly I don't like the look of plugs so most things I just glue them directly to the rock.
^^^ yup....nothing more natural than corals encrusting on live rock IMO. I always try to glue right to the rock, unless the plug is well encrusted in which case i just find a hole or make one to insert the plug into.

Just want to reiterate about rinsing. I have dipped many times with Bayer without problems, but the last time I dipped a large piece of rock with zoas for nudibranchs and rinsed multiple times, but clearly not enough. All 3 of my shrimp, fire, cleaner and coral banded, died as well as all my pods. Moral, when you think you have rinsed enough do it a few more times.

ryandb20

Anyone run carbon after dipping? Have a few montis, chalice, and acros in the tank. I usually just visually inspect but the chalice (newest arrival) had a shrimp larva that I thought was pretty cool, my six line was trying to eat it through the bag while temp acclimating. I thought to add some of the water to get the shrimp in but then it caught my eye - a whitish brown flatworm and I freaked. I haven't dipped up until this point but think that I may dip from here on out. Hoping that the flatworm in the bag was a lone soldier.

I have been studying dip techniques and haven't seen anyone running carbon. Was thinking to use the Bayer technique with 3-4 fresh rinse stations. I never use carbon, the only artificial Chem/bio filtration I use is GFO. Would think though that the carbon would clean out any residual chemical from the dip? I was planning on making a large stick order (15-20). Should I add a bag of carbon to the sump after the dip process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone run carbon after dipping? Have a few montis, chalice, and acros in the tank. I usually just visually inspect but the chalice (newest arrival) had a shrimp larva that I thought was pretty cool, my six line was trying to eat it through the bag while temp acclimating. I thought to add some of the water to get the shrimp in but then it caught my eye - a whitish brown flatworm and I freaked. I haven't dipped up until this point but think that I may dip from here on out. Hoping that the flatworm in the bag was a lone soldier.

I have been studying dip techniques and haven't seen anyone running carbon. Was thinking to use the Bayer technique with 3-4 fresh rinse stations. I never use carbon, the only artificial Chem/bio filtration I use is GFO. Would think though that the carbon would clean out any residual chemical from the dip? I was planning on making a large stick order (15-20). Should I add a bag of carbon to the sump after the dip process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You shouldn't have to worry about using carbon. I'm in the middle of an AEFW battle and I've been dipping my SPS corals weekly with bayer and I don't run carbon in my tank. When I first started using bayer a couple years ago I was real anal about rinsing, I would dip the frag in one cup and then into another cup with clean tank water and then I would take another cup of clean water, hold the frag over the sink and rinse it. When I started the AEFW battle 3 weeks ago, after dipping, I put all 20 frags in a strainer over a bucket and I siphoned tank water over them to rinse, I probably did about 3 gallons of water over them. This week after dipping all the frags, I just put them in a container of clean tank water with about twice the volume of my dipping solution. I then poured the water out and the frags went straight into the tank, all my fish and microstars and pods are doing just fine. So this is how I will do it from now on, I'm not wasting my time with extra rinses anymore.

Latest posts