Bayer Insecticide as a coral dip

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Is it confirmed to kill acro red bugs, monti nudis, etc?
It seems to kill acropora eating flatworms, red bugs, black bugs, montipora eating nudribanches, and other evil bugs. There is no specific evidence (like a published article specific to reef tanks ) . There is plenty of empirical evidence though that it is effective. Eggs are another matter, I do not believe any product has been shown to kill eggs with a dip.

On the bottle, I think there might be a picture of a montipora eating nudibranch , not entirely sure though, but it might be.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Is this just for SPS? Can u use it for all corals?
Sps are the worst with devastating pests.

Given that, I dip everything I have put in my tank except anemones, fish, pods, and clean up crew.

So yes, I dip chalices, blastamussa, lobophyllia, trumpets, and zoas.

Creepy critters crawl on rocks, so most definitely if it comes on a rock. I try to remove it's rock or plug if there is anyway I can.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
So now that we have added alcohol to the thread, maybe I should go through one more demo again:

So here is new frag (darth maul porites) in the bag:

Frag on original plug (possibly crawling with all kinds of terrible pests, this frag came from an sps tank from LFS)

Got to chisel the frag off:

Yes, some of the frag remains on old plug but less likely to bring in eggs by removing old plug

Frag sitting in about 4 ounces of saltwater (either tank water or from bag)

Ten ml's of Bayer as pictured (make sure you use the Bayer I showed, not some other version)

While the frag soaks for 5 (five) minutes, get out new plug and glue

After the 5 minutes are up, the Frag is sitting in fresh tank water and ready to be glued (remember, Bayer is toxic so do not use your fingers in it, don't smell it, don't spill it and don't drink it--it is extremely hazardous. Notice on the far right are tweezers for handling frag)

Frag is now glued on to new plug

Glued on new plug and sitting in fresh tank water so the glue will harden.

Bump for RAP 2012!! I'm about to use this protocol in a few minutes. Just curious if I can use the bayer dip mixed in the water more than once.

P.S. Maricultured acros scare the crap out of me!!