User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 91 to 105 of 105
  1. #91
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Name
    King Tutankhamun
    Location
    Gardena
    Posts
    20,551
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Bumping this for the Newbs as no one wants critters.

  2. #92
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Name
    Keith
    Location
    Rancho Belago
    Posts
    2,578
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedfish View Post
    Bumping this for the Newbs as no one wants critters.
    Very thoughtful...
    Advanced Acrylic 250 gal, 103 gal sump, 2 - mp 40's, 2-wp 40s, Pacific Sun Pandora S-3, Hybrid, 1/4 hp arctica chiller, Vertex Alpha 200, aquaripure nitrate filter, aqua 57 watt U.V., Phosban and Charcoal Reactors, 3 - drew dosing pumps, Tunze 3155 A.T.O. "Never....... Ending......."

  3. #93
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Name
    Omar
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    6,692
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    About to try this for the first time. Wish me luck!
    37g 30x12x22, Reef Octopus BH-1000 Protein Skimmer, (2) AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp 48W, Vortech MP10es, CPR Aquafuge2 (2.5g)

  4. #94
    Moderator Six2seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Name
    steve
    Location
    San Pedro, CA
    Posts
    8,473
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reefomeez View Post
    About to try this for the first time. Wish me luck!
    Good luck. I've never seen anyone overdose so don't be scared of adding a little extra lol
    Steve Rodriguez
    President - Los Angeles Reef Society
    www.LAreefsociety.org

    150g SPS dominated reef tank

  5. #95
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Name
    Omar
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    6,692
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just finished dipping about 30 pieces. Nothing showed stress. Except the microfauna.
    37g 30x12x22, Reef Octopus BH-1000 Protein Skimmer, (2) AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp 48W, Vortech MP10es, CPR Aquafuge2 (2.5g)

  6. #96
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Name
    richie
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Dipped like 15 pieces thought I rinsed everything good enough before putting In the tank but guess I didnt rinse enough killed most if not all my pods rinse rinse and rimse again learn from my mistake lol

  7. #97
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Name
    Azael
    Location
    La Puente
    Posts
    448
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Why would one separate the frag from the plug? Is it not better to keep the plug and dip coral + plug, specially if coral has encrusted?

  8. #98
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Name
    Omar
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    6,692
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azasb View Post
    Why would one separate the frag from the plug? Is it not better to keep the plug and dip coral + plug, specially if coral has encrusted?
    If it's encrusted then it's a judgement call. The main reason is eggs tend to be laid on non-living structure. So if the coral is all living tissue then the eggs will be laid on the plug. If the coral is dead towards the bottom then I chop the dead part off because that's likely where the eggs could have been laid.
    37g 30x12x22, Reef Octopus BH-1000 Protein Skimmer, (2) AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp 48W, Vortech MP10es, CPR Aquafuge2 (2.5g)

  9. #99
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sorry to hijack this thread...

    Im not sure if you can get this product over in the US but Dettol is also a great coral dip (almost the exact same as Coral RX).

    Dettol is an anteseptic and is a great coral dip when used with 1ml to 1 litre of salt water. Its also really cheap. I dip my corals by this method and its getting quite common on some of the UK forums.

    Just thought i would share as another alternative for you guys.

    Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

  10. #100
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Name
    Azael
    Location
    La Puente
    Posts
    448
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reefomeez View Post
    If it's encrusted then it's a judgement call. The main reason is eggs tend to be laid on non-living structure. So if the coral is all living tissue then the eggs will be laid on the plug. If the coral is dead towards the bottom then I chop the dead part off because that's likely where the eggs could have been laid.
    Thanks! After the dip is it better to "replug" with a plug that has been in my tank or a dry non used one?

  11. #101
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Name
    Omar
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    6,692
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azasb View Post
    Thanks! After the dip is it better to "replug" with a plug that has been in my tank or a dry non used one?
    I don't think it matters. Honestly I don't like the look of plugs so most things I just glue them directly to the rock.
    37g 30x12x22, Reef Octopus BH-1000 Protein Skimmer, (2) AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp 48W, Vortech MP10es, CPR Aquafuge2 (2.5g)

  12. #102
    Resident Realogist
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Name
    Jesse
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,776
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reefomeez View Post
    I don't think it matters. Honestly I don't like the look of plugs so most things I just glue them directly to the rock.
    ^^^ yup....nothing more natural than corals encrusting on live rock IMO. I always try to glue right to the rock, unless the plug is well encrusted in which case i just find a hole or make one to insert the plug into.

  13. #103
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Name
    Laurence
    Location
    Laguna Niguel
    Posts
    552
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just want to reiterate about rinsing. I have dipped many times with Bayer without problems, but the last time I dipped a large piece of rock with zoas for nudibranchs and rinsed multiple times, but clearly not enough. All 3 of my shrimp, fire, cleaner and coral banded, died as well as all my pods. Moral, when you think you have rinsed enough do it a few more times.

  14. #104
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Name
    Ryan
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Anyone run carbon after dipping? Have a few montis, chalice, and acros in the tank. I usually just visually inspect but the chalice (newest arrival) had a shrimp larva that I thought was pretty cool, my six line was trying to eat it through the bag while temp acclimating. I thought to add some of the water to get the shrimp in but then it caught my eye - a whitish brown flatworm and I freaked. I haven't dipped up until this point but think that I may dip from here on out. Hoping that the flatworm in the bag was a lone soldier.

    I have been studying dip techniques and haven't seen anyone running carbon. Was thinking to use the Bayer technique with 3-4 fresh rinse stations. I never use carbon, the only artificial Chem/bio filtration I use is GFO. Would think though that the carbon would clean out any residual chemical from the dip? I was planning on making a large stick order (15-20). Should I add a bag of carbon to the sump after the dip process?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #105
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Name
    Mike U
    Location
    Central Cali Coast
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryandb20 View Post
    Anyone run carbon after dipping? Have a few montis, chalice, and acros in the tank. I usually just visually inspect but the chalice (newest arrival) had a shrimp larva that I thought was pretty cool, my six line was trying to eat it through the bag while temp acclimating. I thought to add some of the water to get the shrimp in but then it caught my eye - a whitish brown flatworm and I freaked. I haven't dipped up until this point but think that I may dip from here on out. Hoping that the flatworm in the bag was a lone soldier.

    I have been studying dip techniques and haven't seen anyone running carbon. Was thinking to use the Bayer technique with 3-4 fresh rinse stations. I never use carbon, the only artificial Chem/bio filtration I use is GFO. Would think though that the carbon would clean out any residual chemical from the dip? I was planning on making a large stick order (15-20). Should I add a bag of carbon to the sump after the dip process?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You shouldn't have to worry about using carbon. I'm in the middle of an AEFW battle and I've been dipping my SPS corals weekly with bayer and I don't run carbon in my tank. When I first started using bayer a couple years ago I was real anal about rinsing, I would dip the frag in one cup and then into another cup with clean tank water and then I would take another cup of clean water, hold the frag over the sink and rinse it. When I started the AEFW battle 3 weeks ago, after dipping, I put all 20 frags in a strainer over a bucket and I siphoned tank water over them to rinse, I probably did about 3 gallons of water over them. This week after dipping all the frags, I just put them in a container of clean tank water with about twice the volume of my dipping solution. I then poured the water out and the frags went straight into the tank, all my fish and microstars and pods are doing just fine. So this is how I will do it from now on, I'm not wasting my time with extra rinses anymore.

 

 
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •