Not so live sand.

I have 50-60 lbs of what was live sand sitting in plastic tubs for about 2 weeks. Didn't have the know-how or equipment to keep them up and running in water. Was only able to cycle the live rocks.

How do get them ready to re-use in the tank?

After 2 weeks, I would suggest rinsing the sand out really well before using. Not much would survive that long of a period.

I can use regular tap water and rinse it a few times and use in tank right?

Related question. When I'm aquascaping the live rocks & sand, I've read both put rock first then sand and also sand then rock.

Which is which???

I used tap to rinse myself. Whatever water left wouldn't make a big difference once in the tank.

As to sand or rocks first, I personally did the sand first. If the rocks are already in the tank, they'll be covered in sand once the sand is put in.

When I got my used sand I rinsed for about 30-40mins. Made sure when I stirred the sand it was crystal clear.. I did my order a bit backwards. My tank was filled with water first for the first week. After the sand was clean I then dumped the sand in. I poured it in slowly so there wasnt that much of a sand storm. Took a day or two to clear.

As of right now tank is running fine. Been keeping tabs on it though to make sure nothing goes crazy.

I guess I'm planning to dump sand in first, then the live rock.
Making sure to 'wiggle' the LR into the sand to make sure its stable.

Gotcha.

My father threw alway the not so live sand cause he thought it was bad. :(

Now what would you recommend I use? Was thinking of a crush coral base sand/substrate.

How much sand are you looking for? I have a small tubfull, probably at least 30-40+ pounds of dead sand that I don't need anymore that you can have. LMK.

The amount of sand is all personal preference. I have about 2" in mine. Or you can go bare bottom. It's all up to you.

I'm going to put sand. Just not good at judging weight to area coverage.

My rough guess of having around 3" clearance border around tank is 450 sq inch or ~4 sq/ft surface that needs coverage.

Latest posts