One pump or Two?

I have 2 CustomSeaLife similiar to Poseidon PS4 rated @ 1224gph.

I have one plumbed and testing right now. Its pushing water to the chiller & UV then back to the tank. I have to throttle it down by closing the valves to the chiller & UV half way or else it sucks the water out of the sump faster then it fill up. Have only one 1" outlet from the overflow to the sump.

Seems like the second pump will be a overkill and it says this particular pump will raise the water temp 4-6 degrees.

So I am thinking of T'ing into the pump prior to feeding the chiller/uv and go to the other return.

What do you all think?

Your overall limiting factor is your drain. A 1" drain will give you approximately 600 GPH if I recall correctly. If your pump is rated higher after head loss, you'll always drain the sump faster than it can be refilled. So yes, the second pump would be useless unless you use it for close-loop. And it doesn't matter if you tee off from the first pump into a different return. You simply can't pump more water into the tank than it can drain.

I'm not trying to get more H2O into the sump by T'ing into the 1st pump.
Just figure like you said, since one is already a overkill and can handle it, why bother putting another pump just to throttle both down even further and also raise the temp more.

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.