New Tank

Hello All....I am getting a new 30g with built in sump....I need to know what hardware I am going to need to get it up and running...I have LS and LR with water that has been cycled for 2 months....any help you can give me will be much apprieciated...Thank!!

Attachments

Last edited:
Powerheads for flow, basic test kits, return pump (maybe, can't tell if it has one)...............the list can go on & on.

You need to determine what type of corals and/or fish you want to keep. Also read, read, read, & when you're done doing that, read more............Once you do some homework, it'll be easier for you to choose what animals you want to keep & what thier needs are.

ok I think the built in sump is really a built in overflow box....I am just worried about the pumps and stuff I need to get it started...:aetsch:

If it has a drain hole or two at the bottom, then it's an overflow. If it doesn't, then it's like a built in fuge kind of deal.

You need to get a sump if that's an overflow box. For the return pump, you have many choices. The first choice you need to make is whether to use an external return or in sump return pump. The easiest is probably to do an in-sump pump. From personal experience only, you can't go wrong with Eheim pumps, something like the 1250 or 1260, depending on what you want to do. They are a bit pricier than others but well worth the reliability and low energy consumption.

You'll probably also need additional flow inside the tank. The return alone usually isn't enough.

Picking the right return pump along with a sump should get you up and running to get the tank cycled. Of course, you'll need other equipment down the road.

Yeah it is a fuge...it has no drain holes....so where does the return pump go....on my 12g I have 2 PHs and HOB filter....so I don't have any experience with return pumps

Can you get a pic of the fuge from the top down? Also a closer shot of the tank from the front would help. There should be some bulkheads or something for the fuge water to return to the display area.