Xenias problems

Wannareef

I'm going to try it one more time, I've tried to put Xenias in my reef tank, but in a couple of days they melt away, I have a 135g tank, 4-96w pc and 2-250w MH lights, I've tried putting them on the bottom,middle,and the top, The last ones I got came from a tank that had 400w MH lights, so I thought they would do ok, Someone said my tank might be to clean, Don't under stand that one, I think I'll try leaving the MH lights off for a awhile and bring them back on a little at a time. any suggestions would be helpfull.

What's the temperature of your tank? My xenia really took a beating during that unexpected heat wave last month

I've tried the pink pulsing ones and they would always melt. I now have the silver tipped and they are growing like weeds. Mine is up high near the top under T5's. Xenia's do like dirty water. Which type are you trying? I also hear that they like iodine. I rarely dose that.

dont get confused when people say dirty water what they mean i water with high nutrients. And yes Xenia does better with a higher stable Alk level. And they good in low light and high light. Place them in low to Med flow.

I'm going to try it one more time, I've tried to put Xenias in my reef tank, but in a couple of days they melt away, I have a 135g tank, 4-96w pc and 2-250w MH lights, I've tried putting them on the bottom,middle,and the top, The last ones I got came from a tank that had 400w MH lights, so I thought they would do ok, Someone said my tank might be to clean, Don't under stand that one, I think I'll try leaving the MH lights off for a awhile and bring them back on a little at a time. any suggestions would be helpfull.

I have had the same problem with Xenia. I did also notice the silver tip xenia are pretty much bullet proof but my pulsing xenia seem to melt away. I have a small frag that has be shrunken down to nubs but still pulsing and they have been that way for about 6 weeks. Kinda wierd some days they are longer than others but never back to normal. I pretty much decided this is my last attempt for a while.

Happpy Reefing.

Wannareef

Rick,
It was nice meeting you as well,
The frags didn't stay where I glued them, floated away somewhere, the ones on the shell are now at the bottom away from the light, they started to melt, so kept the MH lights off, and a couple are starting to come back, but doesn't look good right now, I'll keep you posted

Thanks Again

Well Cr@p! Sorry to hear that. Those things were right under the 250 Radiums. Don't know why they would melt. The ones that floated away, are they in your filter?

If you can recover them glue them, to a small piece of rubble. Put them in a low fow area until they attach to the rubble. Then epoxy the rubble up in your high flow area. They really like lots of flow.

Or once the ones on the shell recover. Break up the shell and epoxy the pieces in their final location.

rich,

some tanks just don't do good with xenia's... i've been to lfs where they don't sell xenia's at all because of that. it just depends on your tank. it is also true that xenia's like "dirty" high nutrient tanks. mine is full of that so xenia's grow like weed in my tank. i have to trim them down every month or so... too bad you didn't swing by my place. all my xenias are attached naturally to rubble. i grown them out that way. let me know if yours don't survive. i'll give you a few stalks on rubble for free if yours float away... :)

Wannareef

Thanks Tom, I just picked up my last ones, I figured I'll give these a try and if it doesn't work, it just wasn't meant to be for my tanks, In the 110g I tried a couple of times of it didn't grow either, now I'm trying in the 135g to find out if they'll grow, if they don't, I'll stick to mushrooms.
I appreciate your offer though, that's very kind of you.

Rich