i got an algae scrubber

SantaMonica

Premium Member
Supporter
Makes a good point. Algae grows and pulls nutrients out of the water where there is the strongest photosynthesis. And strong photosynthesis requires strong light, strong flow, and strong attachment.

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Do people use these anymore?? Maybe I will put one on my new tank. I'm sure the price of them have gone up

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
So my new filtration system will be as follows. I will have three main ways to export nutrients in my sump. First will be my skimmer, it's a simplicity skimmer with a dc pump it's rated for 60 to 120 gallons. Normally I always go a step or two above recommendations on my skimmer but I think it will be fine incorporated with my other filtration. Next I have a refugium, I'm using the eshopps curve light only cause I got a really good deal on one I would have been fine just mounting any old light from the hardware store. My last tank had a floresent 6500k light from Wallmart and it worked great. I will be growing cheto and Cullerpa harvesting it as needed. I went with rubble rock in the fuge. I didn't want to use sand, I think rock is much easier and cleaner. I was thinking about going with mud. I know people who use miracle mud and swear by it and I've also talked to people who tell me it did nothing for them. Mud is something I may try later. Last I will be using a HOG .5 upflow algae scrubber. I sold mine to a friend the last time I took my tank down. He had it laying around in his garage and gave it to me. I am a big fan of algae scrubbers,, I hope it works well on this tank. The great thing about a scrubber is you can't over use it. If there are little to no nutrients in your tank the algae just grows slower. So that's my nutrient export system. I will still do my water changes.this time I will be doing a lot of testing on my tank. I may take cetain items off line for a while and see how they effect water chemistry, coral growth and over all tank health. I will be running a pretty heavy bio load for a 60 gallon so it will be putting all these systems to the test. Everything should be installed and running by the end of the week

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
Currently set up and running. It's using a very small air pump at the moment. I have a bigger one coming in the mail on Monday. I placed it in the skimmer chamber of my sump, it has a lower water level that will keep the splash and salt creep down. I also like using it just above the water line for the same reasons. This is my third tank with an algae scrubber but the first time I have used it in conjunction with a refugium. It will be interesting to see how it effects growth running them together. From what I have read micro algae is much easier to grow than macro algae also the scrubber has much more intense lighting for its size and is in a high oxygen area that has more intense flow going through it. I will also be running kalk in this tank, not sure if the higher PH will change the growth rate or either or both. Guess I'll have to wait and find out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts