Melev's Reef's RO/DI unit & TDS meter- Review

Jessy

http://www.melevsreef.com/ro_di.html <---the unit I got and where to buy it
I got one of these RO/DI units a few weeks ago. It was really nicely shipped and easy to hook up because he has a step by step photo instruction on his website. http://www.melevsreef.com/rodi_install.html

The unit itself is sturdy and pretty :). For anyone that doesn't have an RO/DI unit and is thinking about getting one, DO IT! I will never lift another 5 gal bucket into my car. UGH just thinking about it makes me tired. Anyway, I bought a long tube to take the water from the unit over to the trash can i mix my water in (about 25 ft away from the unit itself), and it works out perfectly. I fill about 30 gals of RO/DI water in 7.5 hours.

The TDS meter (necessary to have IMO) read 000 after the first round...even though my tap water was reading 435!!!! I think the stuff I was BUYING at the LFS was still reading 6... so happy I finally bought this after over a year of stupidly buying from the store...

I just did the math, I'd get about 15 gals a week at the LFS at $.35 a gal... I spent $336 on water alone at the store not even counting the gas to get there ... anyway hands down best purchase for my tank I've made since TEK T5 lights last year

Great product and even better customer service.

Very cool. You have it set-up exactly the way I want mine set-up - off the cold water line of the laundry. Does Melev's RO/DI handle Chloramine? I'm thinking about getting one from BulkReefSupply.com just because of the extra Chloramine stripping capacity.

Jessy

Very cool. You have it set-up exactly the way I want mine set-up - off the cold water line of the laundry. Does Melev's RO/DI handle Chloramine? I'm thinking about getting one from BulkReefSupply.com just because of the extra Chloramine stripping capacity.
Honestly I have no idea if they do chloramine (wtf is that anyway?)... the best way to have that question answered is email marc melev@swbell.net . He'll be more than happy to answer your questions.

On a separate note I know you can probably look around for something cheaper but Marc is really great in customer service and has a great product that he stands behind. He was actually a hobbyist buying this exact system before they sold the company to him.

Jessy

Thanks for he review Jessy, I'll have to get mine from there as well. How's the tank?
Cool, tank is awesome. I don't know what happened when i moved it, it just decided to be very well behaved. :D

FYI -- you don't really need the deionizer --- its primarly use is to give taste to the water.. it makes it taste actually pretty good. Though I don't think your fish would care. :)

Kevin

FYI -- you don't really need the deionizer --- its primarly use is to give taste to the water.. it makes it taste actually pretty good. Though I don't think your fish would care. :)

Kevin
I think you are thinking of the small chlorine and odor reducer that's the size of a corndog. DI is necessary to bring the TDS reading as low as possible. RO alone will get it down to the teens and maybe single digit range. I run 4 stages of DI to get the cleanest possible water.

Whoops... I'm sorry. I was thinking of the wrong thing. Pookstreet is correct.. as well as bill [who emailed me]. you need the DI to get the most puriest water.

Sorry..

Kevin