Filter sock q

Ok, so I heard people throw their filter socks in the washer so I tried it. I didn't run any soap or detergent. I even ran it dry to be sure. So I put them in on hot, and they came out smelling like detergent!!! I ran it two more times, but it still smells like laundry soap. Do I have to get rid of these socks, or is there something I can do to make them safe to put in my tank?

pgr11

Supporter
Run them in a cycle with just bleach. Then do a second rinse with water only

What I use to do when I used socks is I'd run the washer by itself to rinse any soap residue out before I put my filter socks in. That helped tremendously

I run them in hot wash wA small amount of reg bleach.. second rinse.. THEN I soak them in fresh water treated witn dechlorinator(prime) for a few hours.. then hang dry in the sun. Sun dring will evaporate any chlorine residue left. No smell at all when dry. :)

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
I run them in hot wash wA small amount of reg bleach.. second rinse.. THEN I soak them in fresh water treated witn dechlorinator(prime) for a few hours.. then hang dry in the sun. Sun dring will evaporate any chlorine residue left. No smell at all when dry. :)
That's pretty much what I do too. Just give it enough time to dry out and chlorine evaporate and you will be fine.

wickedfish

Run them in a cycle with just bleach. Then do a second rinse with water only
I would do this on the sanitary cycle. Socks are for sailors baby, ya! Too
Much work for Lil payoff. Who needs sparkling floaty free water? Not me.

echoreef

I have a group of 10 filter socks that I rotate and change out once a week. I rinse and line dry the filter sock. Once I am on the last available sock, I throw them all in the washing machine on hot water setting. Most of the time, I do not even use bleach. They come out nice and white ready to go again.

Latest posts