New sump design. Opinions needed. :)

562Reefer

I'm upgrading my 25T sump to a 40 breeder. I see a lot of designs on the web and came across this one.
SUMP.JPG

I edited the drains to make it look similar to mine. What do you think? I like having a large fuge for rocks and algae. Also the added total volume of my system since my DT is only a 40 breeder also.

hbtl_ofndr

Looks good. Only thing I don't like about systems like this is that part of your water gets returned before it gets filtered. Also, make sure you plan your baffles so that when the pump is off you have enough empty sump to handle the water volume that will drain from your DT.

I think it looks good. Remember if ur not running a sock, not all of the water gets to the skimmer the first time around anyways. So there's always water that doesn't get filtered.

Sent from my iPhone

562Reefer

Yeah I was debating that, but I plan to run a filter sock on the skimmer side, so it'll be half filtered. On the return, I'm gonna run a check valve on the pump before the union.

562Reefer

Question on the baffles. On the diagram the baffles differ in lengths in the fuge compared to the skimmer side. Can I just mirror the baffles so they're the same?
Sump 2.JPG

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Question on the baffles. On the diagram the baffles differ in lengths in the fuge compared to the skimmer side. Can I just mirror the baffles so they're the same?
View attachment 17693
it seems off. the water line will be at the height of the last baffle. so if that return pump section is only 6 inches across and only as high as that last baffle which looks like about 8 inches, your water level will only move in that small section. so if you have high evaporation, you definitely need an ATO or you will be topping off everyday.