Lighting... How to get the shimmer effect?

I've got a 60 gallon tank with 4 T5HO bulbs. The color spectrum is great. But I'm wondering if adding a certain type of LED? in addition to the T5s will give my tank the shimmer effect?

Well. if I add supplement LED lighting, can I get the shimmer if the LEDs run at the same time as the T5s? If so, I'm trying to figure out what kind to get? Something to fit a tight budget would be nice haha

Adding an led bar or diy'ing some onto your fixture should do it. Also make sure to create surface agitation

I get some shimmer effect with my Ecoxotic LED Strips. It is very subtle though when my T5's are all on. I am running 6 x 39w.

Mike at So Cal Tropical has a good example of an LED set up that gives you shimmer on a T5 tank. I think he told me a friend of his makes them custom. He uses 3w LEDs instead of the 1w that are in the Ecoxotic so it works when the bulbs are all on.

I have read good things about the Reefbrite Strips as well but they are a bit pricier and bulkier than the Ecoxotic Stunner strips.

benjaminS

Well. if I add supplement LED lighting, can I get the shimmer if the LEDs run at the same time as the T5s? If so, I'm trying to figure out what kind to get? Something to fit a tight budget would be nice haha
If you have all blue flourescents and you get white LEDS thats stronger than the flourescents then you can get a shimmer effect.

You will get shimmer from blue LEDs as well...

As said before, it's a single point light source that gives you shimmer, that's why LEDs like the kessil give ridiculous amounts of shimmer.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll start looking into someone making a strip that I can fit on the tank. If I get a strip with the 3 watt LEDs, is there any concern of ill effects on the coral with the added light? Also, would there need to be an adjustment period? Like running the LEDs for a lesser time initially?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
depends on how many 3 watt leds you put on and how close they are to each other and how close to corals. You can always put the LEDs where it indirectly hits the corals so you don't risk bleaching like towards the front of the tank.