biocube 8 lights out!!!

chun3rd

came home from work. turned my lights on. walked my dog. opened the door. what the hell! the entire apartment stank like piss, literally. I thought my other dog flooded the apartment with piss. . . . . looked over to my cube and the actinic was the only ones that on and flickering. I turned everything off and found the one of the prong for the connection between the ballast and the hood is fried up. I thought i can run the second ballast to the 120,000k bulb for the night, but that thing doesnt work neither. My question is: i thought the two lights are completely separate systems, how on earth did they both failed the same time? all other electricals worked normal, so i dont think its the outlet itself over powering the ballast.(fused box didnt go off neither). this make me think twice about leaving my lights on when i am going out. . . . . .

i am thinking of either putting an legged light fixture over the small cube or converting to LED. i am leaning towards LED due to lower amount of electricity it uses, heat, and longitivity of the bulbs. however, they are so pricey. . . . . . . what do u guys think i should do?

russ13

Premium Member
Supporter
I used my same lid and put in LEDs they work great I am very happy with them

chun3rd

i am googling the rapidled retrofit kit right now. i have no experience whatsoever with LED. what do u guys thinks? anyone have a pic of their cube with that retrofit kit?

oarichard

I'd say CONVERT! I converted and don't plan on ever going back to pc's. I might have my Panorama Pro Retrofit LED's up for sale soon when I upgrade my tank.

chun3rd

I'd say CONVERT! I converted and don't plan on ever going back to pc's. I might have my Panorama Pro Retrofit LED's up for sale soon when I upgrade my tank.
is the panorama pro retrofit for a biocube 8? if so how hard was the installation. any pics on how the panorama looks like in ur tank? i am planning on buying the rapidled biocube 8 dimmable kit(5 rb/4cw) with one addition led to make it 10 led total.

save yourself the trouble and contact your local fish store for the strips. You dont even need to gut the fixture, just pull out the bulb and shove in the strips.

you could probably goggle how to replace biocube lights with ecoxotic and see some examples.

being that yours is not the beefier biocube 28, stunner strips might be more ideal