Help with HOB Aquamaxx/JNS Skimmer

So I bought a JNS HOB skimmer (same as the Aquamaxx) but I think I'm doing something wrong. The yellow airline tubing is supposed to go over a little hole in the front on top, but I have to keep it kinked otherwise it looses all suction. Also, i have the cup sitting right at the waterline, is that correct? How long does it usually take before bubbles start going in the cup?
2013-03-19_17.08.41.jpg

Isnt there a silencer that the yellow tubing connects to? Btw, when setting this skimmer up, you have to submerge that yellow tube in a cup of tank water to prime it, or it wont start correctly. Then you connect it to the silencer. That may be your problem.

I just finally found a page that explained that. It's been running for about an hour and I finally got it to keep suction once I connected the yellow tube to the silencer. I dropped the collection cup slightly. I don't know if it's at the right height. The page said it could take up to a few days to start seeing results

Ok, I've had the skimmer hooked up for a couple days now, and no matter what I do the thing keeps randomly losing suction! It's driving me crazy. Am I totally missing something here. It'll be working fine for a day... and then it drops down to a trickle from the return.

I have one of those.....what I do to get the flow going is suck through the yellow tube a bit...once u hear the water start going ...squeez the tube to cut off the air and connect it back to the white plastic tube where it was connected to....or try you tube on how to set it up....

I'll try it and see what happens. Do you have yours on the back of the tank or in the sump? I've got mine in the sump because my ballasts were in the way. I'm wondering if the water level is too low?

Is there any harm in keeping the yellow tube kinked? It works great if I do that. But as soon as I reconnect to the silencer it stops working again. I don't have room in my sump for a regular skimmer unfortunately.

LMOA I think I just figured it out. I had taken the bottom L shaped piece of the return off since I didn't see a reason for it... I think it was causing bubbles to go in the intake tube... ergo, lost suction. What a tard!!

Latest posts