Return pump?

I have a 90 gallons tank and using a rio 20hf for return pump. I'm running two 3/4 return. Is this pump is too much for this tank? my tank have a build in 1 1/4 drain. I can't seem to open the return valves full flow. Right now, I have to turn the output valves to half flow. If I open the return more than half, I have a lot of rushing water flow coming ddown the drain. Let me know what I can do to improve this. Thanks.

And is your drain flowing under the water line of your sump, or over it and making lots of noise from splashing down?

In none of my systems do I ever let the water splash so lots of flow isn't a problem and is actually a plus to move along water volume, detritus, pods, unwanted nutrients, etc....

I have a 90 also with big pump, i put a 90 angle before the sock and a peice of sponge to quite the splashing down on mine. Also using durso with a hole drilled in top to a airline valve for adjstment,,,bryan

Like Wickedfish stated, it's a huge plus to run lots of flow.

If the noise is coming from the overflow up top, easy fix below. If the noise is coming from the tube/pipe going to the sump, lower the tube/pipe so there's less distance, so less splash.

I have a 90 gallon also that has a 1300 GPH return pump. Initially it had a Dorso, but when pushing 1300 GPH through it, it was to noisy for me.

For $20, switched to a Maggie Muffler, best **** $20 I've spent on this hobby. Now I can run my return pump at 100% since it's super quit.

http://maggiemuffler.com/

Thanks everyone for your response. The drain flowing 2 inches under the water line of the sump. The noise mostly coming from the tube/pipe going to the sump. I will try to lower the drain pipe further down below the water line to see if this will help. I really want to run my return pump at 100%.

IMAG0356.jpg

Latest posts