Ceramic tile

bugeye

I want to raise my skimmer about 1 1/2" in my sump, I want to use something sturdier than egg crate, so I thought tiles might be an option. Just wondering if anyone knows if tiles might affect the water in a bad way.

I want to raise my skimmer about 1 1/2" in my sump, I want to use something sturdier than egg crate, so I thought tiles might be an option. Just wondering if anyone knows if tiles might affect the water in a bad way.
I would use acrylic sheets cut to size you need and fused together to build a stand to raise your skimmer to the height you need. I would NOT use ceramic tiles. No telling what is in the ceramic that could leach into your water. Tiles are not food grade

I think that would be fine. Google it just in case but I've seen tons of people cut tile up for frags so I don't see this as being any different.

Riblet

Premium Member
Supporter
Unless there is lead, which can be found in glazed and non glazed tile.

Unless there is lead, which can be found in glazed and non glazed tile.
Exactly. And even if glazed, the edges are not. There are different kinds of tiles as well and I would feel more comfortable if it were a natural stone type instead of a man made material like ceramic. Idk about using cut up tiles for frag plugs but I know if it were me, I wouldn't risk it when there are other materials that are reef safe for sure.

bugeye

Thanks for the input guys. I'll see if I can find someone that sells acrylic around me.

bugeye

i could be wrong but the eggcrate doesn't seem like it will be very sturdy if i put a couple of pieces on top of each other.

Latest posts