Auto Top Off

This is probably really simple but I want to set up an auto top off system to pump in RO water into the sump to compensate for daily evaporation. Tired of scooping in water when bubbles start to come through the return? What do I need? A Float Valve and some kind of small pump I assume. Can someone steer me in the right direction on this small project? Thanks

3rd rock from the sun, looking to move. Will consi
Ghetto ATO's abound.

Grab a float switch, an extension cord, and an aqualifter pump.

Cut one side of the cord (the positive - if you're unsure which is positive, use a voltmeter and check each of your receptacles receptacles to the ground screw. IIRC it's the one on the right).

You want one lead from the float switch to go to one side, and the other to the other side. The switch goes in between the positive on the cord. You can use wire nuts or solder and tape - entirely up to you. Just don't let them get wet.

Plug your aqualifter into the end of the cord, and the cord into power, and there you have a ghetto ATO.

Glockoma just did one of these; perhaps he'll chime in...

Aquafrags

save time and headaches and get a osmolator from Tuze have used mine for more than three years no issues:rock:

Dr Fosters and marine depot both sell ATO's they have 2 sensors. One for the sump tells the pump to start and one for the reservoir tells the pump to turn off when the water gets low. Saves you from burning up pumps. They cost around 100 bucks but after you burn up a few pumps it will be worth it.
Link to Marine Depot ATO

One more way to do this. Think Gerbal Feeder!
A airtight container above your sump filled with water. A drain pipe leads to just below water level in your sump. Water level drops in your sump and air flows into the container and you get a top off.

Latest posts