Need LED recommendation

I am piecing together parts for a future build and I am looking for some light suggestions.

Here are the specs and plans:
Tank: 12g (15 x 15 x 13)
Livestock plans : clown pair and anenome; possibly some mushrooms or zoanthids

I saw the kessil 350 at Reef Raft the other day and it was amazing but way too much light (and money) for this tank.

I want to find something small, really clean looking and controllable if possible.

Anything like that out there?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
What about the Kessil A150?
Also two ecoxotic Panorama Pros would work well
AI Nano - had it and I think is the best looking (aesthetically) nano LED light out there. Plus side is it comes with an arm and somewhat adjustable out of the box. But fully controllable with optional controller.

There are alot of choices, depending on budget / mounting / ect.

Take a look here to get some options. I just purchased the Vega and Controller for my 30G tank - and I am loving it. Having the wireless controller is amazing, so I can sit where I usally admire my tank from and can mess with all the colors to get the look I like.

http://www.marinedepot.com/LED_Ligh...LDFX,FILTFILDLK,FILTFILDLP,FILTFILDTI-ct.html

Digitalfreq

Premium Member
Supporter
Steve, have you looked at the Full spectrum Par38 bulbs? its a nice clean look, but no controller. Otherwise the AI Nano is cool.

Digitalfreq

Premium Member
Supporter
There are alot of choices, depending on budget / mounting / ect.

Take a look here to get some options. I just purchased the Vega and Controller for my 30G tank - and I am loving it. Having the wireless controller is amazing, so I can sit where I usally admire my tank from and can mess with all the colors to get the look I like.

http://www.marinedepot.com/LED_Ligh...LDFX,FILTFILDLK,FILTFILDLP,FILTFILDTI-ct.html

Hey Billy, is your AI wireless remote truly wireless? Don't you still have the power cord that has to be connected? I was so bummed when I found that out.

Hey Billy, is your AI wireless remote truly wireless? Don't you still have the power cord that has to be connected? I was so bummed when I found that out.
Yeah that was kinda of a bummer, but luckily I have a outlet next to where I sit and look at the tank so no biggie there, took me awhile to realize that it had to be plugged in, I kept plugging it in thinking it was charging it, unplug it to mess around and it wouldn't turn on, thought the dam thing was faulty, so I guess its not truly wireless but pretty darn close.

Do you know what the other cable was for (the one that looks like an audio jack)

Digitalfreq

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah that was kinda of a bummer, but luckily I have a outlet next to where I sit and look at the tank so no biggie there, took me awhile to realize that it had to be plugged in, I kept plugging it in thinking it was charging it, unplug it to mess around and it wouldn't turn on, thought the dam thing was faulty, so I guess its not truly wireless but pretty darn close.

Do you know what the other cable was for (the one that looks like an audio jack)

That cable is used to connect to older AI lights, if you don't have their new wireless jacks.

Sorry to sidetrack your thread Steve.

Sorry to sidetrack your thread Steve.[/QUOTE]

No worries, the conversation is helpful.

I bought a PAR 38 and while I like it, it is not quite as bright as I want and not controllable.

I don't think the Kessil 150 is controllable either but I may just need to set something up on a timer for sake of budget. When I saw the adjustments you could make on that Kessil 350 I was pretty impressed.

I will check out the Vegas and AI Sol. (wait, are these the same?)

Thanks for the suggestions guys...any others?

Digitalfreq

Premium Member
Supporter
Its not programmable but the Reefbreeders Value fixture is only $150, check the group buy. We'll be ordering it soon. I plan on just putting a timer on it.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I think the Vega or Sol (Sol is older, cheaper, and not wireless capable and uses dif led set up) is way overkill for your 12g. I'd go with the Nano and controller. It's like a mini vega.

I think the Vega or Sol (Sol is older, cheaper, and not wireless capable and uses dif led set up) is way overkill for your 12g. I'd go with the Nano and controller. It's like a mini vega.
I agree the Vega would prob. be overkill for the 12G - but everyone knows that in this hobby, your either upgrading to a bigger tank or downgrading, seeing there is not much room to go down on a 12G its nice to have a fixture that can accommodate any future builds., but obviously that is entirely up to you.

Good luck!

Its not programmable but the Reefbreeders Value fixture is only $150, check the group buy. We'll be ordering it soon. I plan on just putting a timer on it.
I saw that but the fixture is an inch wider than the tank and that would drive me nuts.

The nano looks like a possibility...how does it compare to the JBJ unibody?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Not sure if JBJ has a controller for theirs yet but the Nano has a good white to blue ratio and has both blue and Royal blue LEDs. Each color can be individually programmed and uses Cree LEDS. JBJ doesn't use Cree but has the same colors but only banked on white on one channel and the group of blues on the other. But the JBJ looks more powerful and it is a bigger platform so going to a bigger tank wouldn't be too much of a problem but I've seen the nano on 30 gal cubes with no problem either, just doesn't have the size to go wide.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
If you don't have the tank yet and plan on going acrylic, I'd recommend John at Advanced Acrylics. He made me a pico 10x10x12 with ext overflow and black back for real cheap and it came out perfect!