Led recommendations for a standard 240

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some opinions on led systems for a larger tank. I'd love opinions from those with led experience on their own large tanks although any educated opinion would be great. My tank is currently under T5s and is a mixed reef. I've been looking into radions, Kessils, and Vegas but haven't been able to come to a conclusion due to a couple of factors.

First and foremost, are there any alternatives to the three systems i listed that you would recommend?

My tank is 8' long so I'm obviously gonna several units. From what I gather I would need atleast 4 Vegas or radians to cover the 8 x 2 foot print or 6-8 Kessil a350s. Does this seam like realistic quantities? Or would I need more/less?

As far as Kessils are concerned would a 350 or 350w be better for my depth and foot print? Or would you eliminate then from the list all together?

My tank is also enclosed on the top except for 3 8"x20" openings. I'm worried about losing par through the acrylic top. I'd have to keep up with cleaning the top 1/2 acrylic sheet to remove salt creep. For this reason alone I have been leaning towards the Kessils as I will be more apt to spot light them through the openings and reduce light loss, however, I'd also have to hang then close to the water line which will reduce the spread.

That being said I would prefer a system that its controllable and can be ramped up which the Kessils are not. Do you think that my top will drastically affect the radions or vegas?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

i recommend reefbreeders photon series lights. you can get away with 2 photon32 for all around 800 bucks right now if you join the group buy right now otherwise itll be 900 for the two. check it out, there have been tremendous reviews about them. i made the switch from the razor to the photon32 and have zero regrets.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I have never seen anyone with real success with the Vegas and a full blown SPS system. The people I have seen who have had success with the radions are going over the recommended amount of fixtures. 4 should be ok but I think 5 would be your best number since you will have them close to the water.

These new LED systems are expensive which I'm sure you have realized but If you are going all out, go all out. There was a set-up at reef-a-palooka that had about 4 Kessel 350s and it looked amazing but there were still dark spots. I think the kessils are good for cube tanks.

Have 4 AI Sols over my 240 and I burn everything even with the lights turned down to 60%.

My tank measurements are 60x30x30

I just purchased a new Kessil A360W (wide) and it is awesome. I have a single one over a 36x24x24. Keeping a mix of everything, SPS etc. Amazing light so far, super quite built in fan (cannot even hear it) Recommend coverage area is 30x30 for each unit. They can also now be controlled by controllers for full automation.