Anybody used ball style check valves?

JABlacher

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has plumbed their tank with a ball check valve. I have the traditional swing plunger check valve and it has failed recently and is no longer reliable for me. The PVC ball check valve has a replaceable ball and its simplicity makes it seem like a better fit just wanted to hear if anyone has any experience using them. Thanks

Spinner

Supporter
I have four of them i was going to use but plumbed the area a different way so i didn't use them but they look like they would work well and are made very heavy duty. I picked mine up at Flexpvc.com. and they have a picture of them showing all the parts not sure what ones you have incase you wish to compair.

Good Luck!

JABlacher

Thanks for the reply. I spotted them on amazon the other day while pricing some PVC gate valves and haven't picked one up yet. Wasn't sure if they might restrict the flow more so than the traditional flap style check valves. That is my main concern at the moment.

You really shouldn't rely on a check valve, ever! It's not a matter of if they will fail, it's when are they going to fail.
Try and set up your sump so that your sump can handle all the backflow when your pump is off. You can accomplish this by siphon breaks or redoing some of your plumbing.

Stores? Like LFS? None in this area:) ill go to age in long beach or coral gazers. But I mostly get my frags from reefers on this site.
Btw, stay away from to tongs in Whittier:(