Help Routing acrylic?

kinktao

Does anyone have a router and table that would be willing to help me route about six-9 pieces of acrylic so I can build a sump?

Any help would be appreciated, call me at 661-350-0689.

john

How big and thick are the pieces?

To be honest, you don't need to route the edges before assembly. I've built several small tanks and sumps as large as 120 gallons without routing.

The most important part is having straight and square edges, which means the pieces need to be cut on a good table saw with a good blade. If you can't find someone to route the edges for you, you can use a long flat file, at least 16"+. Clamp the acrylic piece if you can so it won't move. Place the file flat on the edge and file it several times. You don't need to overdo it. Just try to knock down some of the rougher saw marks. Doing it too many times will end up with an edge that's not square. HTH. Good luck.

kinktao

where do you live now days? Still have that overflowing cube?
Hey Therapy! It's been a long time since I said Hi. I just moved to Irvine and yes I still have the overflowing cube. It's currently completely down and all my corals are in a rubbermaid tube. They seem to be doing okay in this temporary holding. However, a few corals don't appear to be happy at all. Don't worry, you're frogspawn, hammer and torch are still doing amazing.

I'm trying to experiment and upgrade my sump to integrate a new stronger pump into my system. I'm going to build one with removable baffles that way I can find a baffle system that can stop all microbubbles.

john

Last edited:

kinktao

How big and thick are the pieces?

To be honest, you don't need to route the edges before assembly. I've built several small tanks and sumps as large as 120 gallons without routing.

The most important part is having straight and square edges, which means the pieces need to be cut on a good table saw with a good blade. If you can't find someone to route the edges for you, you can use a long flat file, at least 16"+. Clamp the acrylic piece if you can so it won't move. Place the file flat on the edge and file it several times. You don't need to overdo it. Just try to knock down some of the rougher saw marks. Doing it too many times will end up with an edge that's not square. HTH. Good luck.
Hmmm, i've had other experiences. I've notice that if you don't route acrylic, you'll have air bubbles in between the joint which severely weakens it. But if you route the acrylic, you always get perfect bonding between the joint.

I don't trust myself filing the acrylic, i'll just make it uneven. If all fails, I'm just going to buy myself a router and table. It would be nice to be able to make any project I want.

I agree that you will be more likely to get bubbles if the edges are not smooth, especially if there are rough saw marks. The last tank I built, my prop tank, was made out of 3/4" acrylic. I had the pieces cut and routed by SoCalCreations before they closed up shop. There are still bubbles in the joints. Maybe I just suck :D

You should contact some of the acrylic tank makers in the OC and see if they are willing to do it for a small fee. There are too many folks with the equipment and knowhow to do that right. I have a router and table but have never used it for acrylic :laugh:

pookstreet

Hope it worked out for you. DIY projects are always fun. Let's see some pix of what the progress if you have time.