Biopellet Reactor

t_hartless

Hi All, usually I just lurk. But I have a question. What are the pros and cons to running a bio pellet reactor? Does it have to run into an skimmer or can it run directly into the tank?

I've been having issues with nitrates in one of my tanks so I decided to set up a reactor. It's been running for four days. Yesterday I noticed that the water was looking a little cloudy and the skimmer was catching some cloudy lookin stuff.

Found an article on another website that says they can be Dangerous to Run. Now I'm freaking out.

Thanks in advance for the help

pgr11

Supporter
How much did you start with? Yes you should run it into the skimmer. Sounds like you have a bacterial bloom

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
you might have started with too much. biopellets are one thing you really need to do some research on before hand. what size tank?

You have a bacteria bloom. You probably put too much pellets. Start with a small amt then increase it slowly until you achieve the recommended volume. Give it a day or two. I encountered that before. After 2 days the water begins to clear again.

t_hartless

Yes I'm think I started out with way too much. My tank is only 25 gallons. Ill reduce the amount if bio pellets tonight. Should I do a water change? Also I run an aquatic life nano skimmer I don't think there is a way to connect the reactor to the skimmer. Thank you all for the help.

Start with small amt then test your nitrates after a couple of days. The volume of pellets depends on the volume of your nitrates. Sometimes you don't need to put the full volume.