No more Prodibio dosinig? Side effects

I posted this in RC but wanted to post my question(s) here. At times this site seems to be more geared towards vendor sales... but thats another topic. :D

Here is my dilemma..

I am thinking of stopping the Prodibio method. At this point I am just not liking what I am seeing in my SPS colonies and frags. Most are getting too darn pastel in color. Not much color definition at all. Maybe this stuff works too well. I have been using Prodibio for almost 18 months. I have to give credit though, the system definitely cleans/clears up the water. But I think my corals are just too bleh..

What side effects, if any, can I expect to see when I stop dosing?
How should I stop? Do I just wean the system, or just stop abruptly?.. not sure how I could wean, but asking anyway. Is there anything that I should begin to do after stopping? Please chime in with your thoughts on this. I want to get as much information as possible.

Thank you,
Brock

The Prodibio might be working too well. I heard some people add more fish to increase the bioload

I forgot which reefer was it could be you. I measured one of the reefer's salinity and it read too low. I took the water sample from the frag that either of you sold. I was going to mention it but got side tracked and then I forgot which reefer's water sample I took. Refractometer can still be off using distilled water. I calibrated mine with the Pinpoint solution and sea water straight from Huntington Beach

Perhaps measure your salinity with another reefer's refractometer

The Prodibio might be working too well. I heard some people add more fish to increase the bioload

I forgot which reefer was it could be you. I measured one of the reefer's salinity and it read too low. I took the water sample from the frag that either of you sold. I was going to mention it but got side tracked and then I forgot which reefer's water sample I took. Refractometer can still be off using distilled water. I calibrated mine with the Pinpoint solution and sea water straight from Huntington Beach

Perhaps measure your salinity with another reefer's refractometer
Mike,
When you measured my salinity, you told me it was 1.025 :D
I really dont want to add more fish since I have not had too much luck with adding.. My Purple tang likes to kick everyones Arse no matter waht type of fish it is.

I will check the salinity with another refracto. Good idea.. cant hurt.

Brock

Last edited:
Mike,
When you measured my salinity, you told me it was 1.025 :D

I will check the salinity with another refracto. Good idea.. cant hurt.

Brock
That was before my calibration. I went to Huntington Beach and it measured 1.029 and the Pinpoint was 1.029 as well so my refractometer was reading .004 lower even though it calibrated 1.000 with distilled water meaning my refractometer had a slope miscalibration which is common.

i've heard that issue too with the pastel colors. i know several people stopped and the color came back to a deep color. others i have heard from had good results and color, but high bio-load (reason why I started, but never had the time to consistently dose). GL

Thanks Steve :D Good to hear from ya bro.
Yea.. I think I will stop dosing. Need to get back to basics again.. Thats what got my tank lookin good in the first place. (IMO at least)

pookstreet

That's why I try not to dose stuff like Pro and Zeo. It takes too much work and too many unknowns involved. My tank is all BROWN but at least I know it's just crappy colors and I suck at reefing, nothing to do with other things :laugh:

reef pig

Interesting thread Brock. Ive been thinking about doing myself, it gives me pause to re think going real slow.

P.S give me a call Brock let me Know about how the reactor is doing and we can talk about the PB

ASommers

Just a FYI if your interested. I remember an article somewhere When calibrating a refractometer with DI water your going to read in general .004 low when measuring against a standard. This was due to most being made for a salt solution and not seawater

Interesting thread Brock. Ive been thinking about doing myself, it gives me pause to re think going real slow.

P.S give me a call Brock let me Know about how the reactor is doing and we can talk about the PB
Hey Tim,
I will give u a call this weekend. Prodibio does it job but maybe too well.

Just a FYI if your interested. I remember an article somewhere When calibrating a refractometer with DI water your going to read in general .004 low when measuring against a standard. This was due to most being made for a salt solution and not seawater
Good poiint Andy. I have heard that somewhere too. I always use the Pinpoint 53.ms solution to calibrate.

is saltwater not some type of salt solution? last time i checked it was.what your talking about is offset miscalibrating which is not a problem as long as u know how to calibrate ur fracto properly

Latest posts