14 gallon bicube light upgrade?

Ok so i have a 14 gallon bio cube and i want to upgrade the lighting. i have kinda looked into getting the Aqualight HQI Metal Halide Fixture the one that clamps onto the tank and getting rid of the stock hood or hanging a metal halide above the tank but that will create alot of heat which im trying to avoid as much as possible. or would the LEDs that clamp on to the tank be better if i get rid of the hood? and is there a lighting system that fits in the hood that have sps growing capabilites? because ive talked to some people that have LED upgrades but still cant grow sps corals. what experince do you guys have with your biocube lighting upgrades?

jbaeza83

Premium Member
Supporter
I think water parameter stability will be a bigger issue than lighting in 14g biocube if your trying to grow sps in it. I've read about people trying it but haven't had much success. That being said if you still want to do it, I think the rapid led kits should be plenty for that cube with sps.

Sean1986

either way if you go exocotic or rapid led or matel halid your biggiest issue will be heat, even the exocotic put off heat i have a 29 gallon and a plexy glass that rest over the top i have 2 exoc lights that will raise my temp by 1-2 degrees in a few hours just being on. but i also have a chiller so its all good.

Sean1986

exo led you could get 3-4 strips and it would be cheeper then the rapid led and the colors are nice, put u will need a fan or a chiller to keep it cool. or hope your ok with your water temp sitting at 80-81

thanks for the advice guys i think im going to look more into the exo leds, and Sean what kind of chiller do you have on your cube, ive been looking for something smaller because i have a small tank but for the most part all chillers ive found are rated for like 75+ gallon tanks

Sean1986

Im using an over kill for a chiller, im using a 1/10 chiller. Things rated for a 100 gal.
Now I dont know alot about chillers but there are 2 kinds I believe one thats a fan and heat sink( thermal) and the other works like a fridge. I tried using a thermal one on my 24 and it actually raised my temp by a degree from the pump pumping water to the chiller.
for such a small tank id recomend getting a clip on fan it cools off your tank pretty quickly only downside is you will have to top off alittle more often. but just get a top off its alot cheaper then a chiller. thats just my opinion.

here is a clip on fan http://www.marinedepot.com/UP_Aqua_...ium_Lighting-UP_Aqua-AZ64047-FILTACAF-vi.html
and heres a ATO http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Auto...In_Units-JBJ_Lighting-JB5111-FIDPETPU-vi.html
thats around $150 but thats alot better then paying 300 plus on a chiller. or you can maybe look around or post something on the forum seeing if anyone has one laying around

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I think most people have a hard time keeping SPS due to a few factors. water stability being a huge one, not acclimating sps to LED lights properly. I had a bc14 with ecoxotic and it could do lps and clams no prob. SPS was too difficult for me and I know the light was adequate for it. Also ran ATO and a fan to keep temp down and even still always flirted with 80-81 degrees. for your 14 all you would need and can fit is 2 panorama pros after you gut out the PC lights. 1 strip actinic and 1 strip mixed white/actinic is a legit combo

I had 3 Ecoxotic LED strips in my 24G Nano - with top op and never had an issue with heat - Stayed at a constant 77.4 - However my new tank with a glass lid and the AI Vega Temp rose a bit.