High Temps = Loss of Colors???

pookstreet

I am trying to figure out why some of my corals, both SPS and LPS, have lost colors this summer. One thing that's possible is the higher than normal temps in my system. Because it's located in the garage and running without a chiller, the system has been running at 80-82 degrees much of the summer, peaking at 83 a couple of times when it got really hot. Most of the time, it's at 81 or 82, depending on which temp readout you look at :hmpf:

Just want to know if there are other factors that might be affecting colors. Growth is fine. Haven't lost anything. Just getting bleh colors on some corals. Anyone in the know? I have have to get a chiller for next summer. The only problem is placement.

pookstreet

Oh yeah, I guess I should mention that my water parameters all tested fine this week.

Alk ~10
Ca ~460
Mg 1300+

The last water test sent to AWT all came back with good levels, except for high silicates.

mchava

Kenny the only thing I could think off is temp fluctuation. What is the lowest temp and the hottest temp? Also what is your salinity at? if you evap a lot of water it could be fluctuating a lot as well.

pookstreet

Mario, there is very little temp fluctuation at all. Daily differential is like a degree or two only. Yes I do have a lot of evap b/c 2 fans are basically running 24/7 but salinity is also pretty steady at 1.026. I use a Tunze osmolator for top off.

The only reason I thought the high temp may be the culprit is b/c colors were pretty good before the summer.

Kenny,

there was a guy on craiglist selling a 1HP JBJ chiller for $125, but the chiller needed to be recharge. I might be able to find his phone # for you if you're interested.

pookstreet

Thanks but I am always wary of such "great" deals. It's probably more than just a simple recharge. I actually have a Deltec evaporative cooler. But the main problem with that or a chiller is where to place it.

Hi Kenny,

The summer is always a rough time of year for corals!

High temps could definitely be causing some symbiotic algae to be expelled; you should definitely invest in a good chiller as a safety precaution. The cost of 3 lost corals will pay for it!

pookstreet

Hi Kenny,

The summer is always a rough time of year for corals!

High temps could definitely be causing some symbiotic algae to be expelled; you should definitely invest in a good chiller as a safety precaution. The cost of 3 lost corals will pay for it!
Good point on the cost of corals vs. a chiller. Any recommendations on a good 1 HP chiller?

Kenny you might look at your lighting too your bulbs may have shifted spectrum. I know that with my setup colors were amazingly different based on which of the bulbs were running

pookstreet

All 3 bulbs are less than 2 months old. That's what I thought at first, but after the bulb change, they still looked the same.

Latest posts