adding acros to my tank need help with lighting and calcium reactor

Hey everyone, I'm adding acros to my tank and I need some help so they don't all die. I have already lost a couple because of my lighting, but I've bought new ones. I am looking for someone who knows some good setting for my aquaticlife 3w led and also someone who can help with calcium reactor I just got off of someone from this forum. I want my acros to look really nice and I would appreciate all the help and advice I can get I appreciate it thanks.

Make sure that you start with the frags on the sandbed then slowly move them up over the course of a few weeks. A change in lighting can stress them. Or as Schnitzel said it could be your params.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I highly doubt it was your lighting that caused them to die.

More likely, it was bad water parameters, or unstable parameters. Probably your alk
Could be his lighting since he's using leds.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

+1, unless you didnt light acclimate them, if they were not under led prior to you getting them, that could shock them also.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Looks like he said he killed a couple corals due to light but has since upgraded his lighting to some aquatic life one. At least that's what I got from it.

What are your levels at?
Alk?
Cal?
Mag?

That would tell us a lot

watchguy123

Featured Reef
There are not that many things you need to know about maintaining sps. You do need to know all your parameters for sps : alk, ca, mag, nitrates, phosphates, salinity and temp. You may need a chiller, heater , additional pumps for flow--sps like a lot of random flow but any good amount of flow is good. Need to understand your lighting and if LEDs, need to light acclimate perhaps a little more than with any other lighting system ( drastic change in lighting of any type requires light acclimation). Don't know how long your tank has been running but the longer the better--new tanks are usually unstable for many reasons. Once you understand and maintain your parameters in a stable range, you will then discover how each is vitally critical to success. But if anything goes wrong, it's always alk. Keep alk stable and everything usually follows. Sps are generally light hogs so that should tell you something about ultimate placement. Did I mention ca reactors , dosing pumps, automatic top offs, water changes, protein skimmer, algae scrubbers and filtration in general. I think that should do it and every thing should look and grow well. Oh and do you understand the difference between maricultured, aquacultured, and tank grown. And I forgot about pest preventatives like Bayer insecticide, careful observation of frags for infestation, stumping or removing frag plugs. I think that is it for now. Oh and bare bottom vs deep sand bed, clean up critters, appropriate type and volume of fish. Well, there might be a couple of things I forgot, but this is a good start. All in all, it really is not that complicated

Wow that sure is a mouth full, doesn't seem hard at all, I'll keep it all in mind. I have had my tank set up for a year and everything is very stable, all other coral is doing awesome except for sps thanks.

Hey thanks everyone for your knowledge I'm gonna keep that all in mind I have had my tank set up of a year and all levels re stable here are my parameters:
Ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 10
Alk: 10
Magnesium: 1290-1320
Calcium: 480
Strontium: 28
I haven't dosed anything in a month and its been stable temp stays at 78.
I think it was my old lights powerfully my new lights will be better, got a new acro so this will be the test

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Nice Tank! Yeah I've been out for awhile to. Luckily before all this mess happened. Never really liked that the infantry is the Queen of Battle. Where were u stationed?

Latest posts