Custom Metal Fabrication - Stands and Light Racks

sonnus

Premium Sponsor
Premium sponsor
Here's a custom light rack/canopy that tilts up for access and is bolted to the wall. This customer did not want to take away from the beauty of his rimless tank and we ended up with this design. It was a major project that required tearing out the drywall to mount the rack. There are gas shocks that hold the canopy up when needed.

Spinner

Supporter
There are a few nice stand builders here at SCR but you are setting a very high bar for the other's:) That is one of the nicest canopy/light hood I have seen for rimless tanks....very clean high dollar look! Why did you need to remove sheet rock to hide wires and add backing?

sonnus

Premium Sponsor
Premium sponsor
Why did you need to remove sheet rock to hide wires and add backing?
I appreciate the compliments. The light rack is not just lagged into the wall. It's very heavy and would start to sag without some additional support. There are huge post welded to the rack that are bolted and hidden in the wall. They go down several feet below the rack and to make it sturdy. We had to remove the drywall to bolt these in place. You could sit a child on the end of the rack and it wouldn't sag.

I appreciate the compliments. The light rack is not just lagged into the wall. It's very heavy and would start to sag without some additional support. There are huge post welded to the rack that are bolted and hidden in the wall. They go down several feet below the rack and to make it sturdy. We had to remove the drywall to bolt these in place. You could sit a child on the end of the rack and it wouldn't sag.
That's legit!!

very cool. I was actually just talking to Noah about the need for internal bracing and hoping that it wasn't just surface mounted.

was the rack made with steel, or aluminum?

sonnus

Premium Sponsor
Premium sponsor
very cool. I was actually just talking to Noah about the need for internal bracing and hoping that it wasn't just surface mounted.

was the rack made with steel, or aluminum?
Aluminum, this is the only way to get the square edges to give it that clean look. Steel always has round corners that doesn't look as good in my opinion.

That is very nice. If I we could get it to adjust up and down on height , I'd be all over that.
We could make it adjustable, that just increases the complexity a bit. It would also be bulkier because of the added structure.