upgrade time!!!!

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
am sorry but i dont follow what your saying.
please excuse my incoherent friend. let me translate. he said he's hung like a 2 year old because his shmeckel is only 2" but when excited, he grows to 3" or 4".

now back to your build thread. you can have two drain pipes and each drain pipe should be two inches and you can have a third drain that would serve as your emergency drain pipe just in case something happened to your first two, the third would keep your tank from overflowing. as for returns, it really depends on how many return lines you want to have and where you want them placed.

i thought it had something to do with that, but dont know him that well to say that lol.

so ill have 2, two inch drains and have a third one there for emergencies. i was thinking of having 4 wholes in the back of the glass for the returns.

pgr11

Supporter
On my tank I put 3 drains that were 1 1/2". I set it up in a beananimal style. 2 drains actually draining and the last one is a dry emergengy so if something happens to the others. I also have 4 holes on the back of the tank that has 4 3/4' bulkheads and flow accelerators. the plumbing coming from the pump and manifold is 1 1/2" and reduces to 3/4 for the bulkhead

so looks like i will be getting my tank from John at AA.

dems are going to be 60x30x36 ( 288 gallon. a lil more than i wanted but o well)

going to have two corner overflow with 2 inch drains in both

and 3 x 3/4 returns cut in the back of the tank.

the only thing i am not so sure of is going with the clear back.

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
Make sure to have the emergency drain... One thing I wish I had. Hell, I wish I had a built in overflow to start but as I've been researching an finally got approval from the money manager a back up drain is SOOOOO important to save the floor.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey just wondering, why would he want 3 drains?
So you guys are saying...
A rare 2 inch drain clogs ( I can't even think of anything besides a tennis ball that would clog a 2inch drain)
Then you guys are saying a second 2 inch drain might also clog which is why he needs a third drain??

pgr11

Supporter
I personally like the bean animal setup which is 3 drains and allows for any failure. Its dead silent and a proven design. Just my opinion

Our main SPS display in our store is 40" tall. Tall tanks are definitely underrated. I forget about whatever inconvenience there may be with the height once I stand back and look at the tank. It really gives the display an immersive feel.

FWIW, my next reef tank is going to be 48" tall!!
I love tall tank too but over 30" is snorkeling time for me ( my cube is 32")
36" wide is good but 48" its better.

Having 2 separate overflows, both with 2" drains will be fine. A third drain is not necessary. However I bet Chris beananimal will be a lot quieter then your setup. 2" drains make a lot of noise. I have a single 2" drain and it's kinda loud.

i went with only 2 drains. now just a lil worried i went to big for my bedroom lol. have to go see how its going to fit in my room. room is 13x13. so have to see how its all going to fit.