RLSS Skimmers

EricGZ

I came across this skimmer online never heard of it, anyone have one, wanted to know if they work good want some info on it

I did some research on them as I'm really intrigued by the DC pumps as of late. From the reviews I've read they seem to work very well. I did recall reading a thread about some minor issues with the pumps in a thread so apparently the manufacturers have addressed this problem and are releasing a new improved version of the pump

When it comes to skimmers I generally look for a couple things. A good review, ease of maintenance and cleaning (basically being able to break it down), energy efficiency, solid build quality, and a reliable pump. Out of these aspects, the only thing that is questionable about my SWC skimmer is the pump. It's an Atman and I've read some not so flattering reviews of the pump. Luckily, mine has been running well (knock on wood)

EricGZ

Im setting up a 120 reef debating on the skimmer between a Reef Octopus POV1 and a Reef Octopus Diablo DC 200, what size tank do you have Thresher

Eric, my tank is small a 40 breeder. I downgraded from a 70 cube. I definitely am using a skimmer that is "overrated" for my water volume but it seems to be skimming fine. It generates a nice head of foam and I empty the skimmer 1-2 times a week. Every review I have seen for the Octopus brand of skimmers have been favorable. They perform well which is the most important factor and most come with reliable pumps. My only issue with some of the octopus skimmers is that some don't seem to dissemble completely making it difficult to clean out the skimmer.

EricGZ

Sounds like your skimmer is doing fine, yea I want to make sure I get what I want and not settle for a skimmer and have to upgrade later

I was just looking at the RLSS R8I for my tank and comparing it to the RO Diablo XS225, I've heard a lot of good thing about the RLSS DCS skimmers from review etc. Still haven't decided which way to go. Problem is my current skimmer doesn't seem to be pulling any goop but it could be due to a really light bio load. Of course the POS like to overflow regularly also. Anyway I'm done rambling...

<------------ :crazy:

EricGZ

Yea i had a 120 set up with a ASM G2 and when the pump worked it wasnt that bad seemed like the pump always had problems have you decided on a new skimmer

Not yet. Aaron at sps coral store recommened the eshopps s200 so I've checking that one also. Its a tough decision.
I want a good skimmer for a decent price just like everyone else. :D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

EricGZ

Yea I'm in the same boat setting up a 120 and trying to decide on a skimmer but I'm undecided between a Reef Octopus POV 1 or the Reef Octopus DC 200 decisions decisions.

Yea I'm in the same boat setting up a 120 and trying to decide on a skimmer but I'm undecided between a Reef Octopus POV 1 or the Reef Octopus DC 200 decisions decisions.
And than more decisions. Thats probably the most difficult part of this obsession for me.

:what:

I've used the atb 840 V 2 for a couple years now. Energy efficient no problems at all. Easy to clean. But I will say it's a bit overkill in my opinion for my 140 or so gallons of total water volume. It's a great skimmer tho.

I was thinking of downsizing at some point just to see what happens.

That's a nice skimmer, a bit pricey for me though.
I'm gonna have to sell my rc helicopter so I can upgrade mine.

Latest posts