Picked up my new AA Sump!

mkfmedic

Here's a couple of pictures of my new AA sump.

It is 36" x 17 x 17 1/2 tall. As you can see it is a 3 section sump, modeled after the trigger systems sump. It is designed to be run at 11" of water in the first two sections, and probably 8" or so in the pump return section. During the leak test, I added water to one section at a time and ended up with 24 gallons in the sump. I then placed a pump in the sump to get an idea of the water flow and noise levels while running.

The first section has a bubble trap for my primary "Herbie" overflow and although I didn't plan for it, I could also place a 4" filter sock in the space. There is also plenty of room for my protein skimmer; however, in my excitement to water test the sump, I knocked my Bubble Magus off my garage workbench and broke the acrylic. Ugh. It's a little beyond repair, so I'll be adding a sump to the "Need" side of my build list.

The second section will be for a refugium. I was initially planning on using an 1" or so of Miracle mud and had the baffles put it to keep the substrate from being pushed all to one side. Not sure that would be an issue or even if I will be using Miracle Mud at the moment.

The second section overflows onto the baffle section which contains two shelves. One for a sponge filter and the second for media. Although I have know planned to go with a double reactor running GFO & Carbon, but I have the option if needed.

The final section will be for my pump return.

I am very pleased with the build quality of this sump and though I am a new member, have seen much controversy over AA, let me say that they were very responsive to me, even responding to my intial design and request for a qoute on a Sunday. The build time was less than a week. Also included is a 2" Sump stand to raise, my now broken Bubble Magus 180 ex to 9", a dosing/RODI tube holder that can be moved.

All the seams are perfect, and there is no leaking from section to section which is nice. Again, for my first sump, I think I scored!

Anyway, I know how everyone likes pictures, so here you go.

Attachments