Acrylic and issues

Just upgraded to some 400 watt metal halides...didn't think that they would get so hot that it would crack the top portion of my tank. The crack stopped just before it meets with the front view of the tank but now my tank is deformed and literally forms a slight bow in the front. The canopy's front lip no longer sits flat with the top seam of the tank. Since it molded itself into this new shape, it looks like that it won't crack any further (knock on wood LOL). I think it stretched as much as it could. Is this something I need to worry about? The crack from the top view varies from 3-4mm wide. I was hoping that I can salvage this tank enough to satisfy my saltwater addiction and give me enough time to save money and purchase a 180 gallon tank. Thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

I would think that if the structural integrity of your bracing is compromised, wouldnt the tank bow, given enough time?

Surg, I see your point, but many times like all things measures to protect, strengthen and ensure are taken and doubled-up if you will and I'm hoping in my case its true. It bowed slightly like I mentioned but although it is no longer standing per specs that some tolerances remain giving me some leniency. I'm just torned about getting a real good deal on this awhile back and the dilemma of having to purchase a new tank and the hard work it takes to acclimate and restore water conditions to normal. Right, hopefully I have more time that anyone normally would expect.

deaclauderdale

Addicted Reefer
My Tank Build
If it's just the bracing and the integrity of the front pane is not compromised you should be ok for a short time, but with all the tremors and whatnot going on lately I'd look to getting a replacement tank. Nothing better than piece of mind.

Sent from my iPad using appendages!

I would think that if it's already bowing out in the front, it's now putting undue stress on areas that are not made to handle extra tension and pressure. I would not trust it at all and would be avidly searching for a replacement asap.

I'm no expert on this sort of thing but none of us really are and you asked our opinion. I wouldn't want to risk the chance of it giving way under the new pressure.

Sorry to hear this happened. Let us know what you end up doing

Latest posts