Sump idea

bleox

So I came with this sketch I was wondering which side should have more water volume lmk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

My setup is small so Im not sure this will help or even apply to your build. I had mine made at Fujimoto. I needed a custom size tank made, I didnt want to drop a lot of cash, and I dont care for acrylic.

Because the sump is small I started with figuring out what room my equipment needed first. My skimmer needs to be in 8 to 9 of water and has an acrylic base footprint of 8 x 13. I had the skimmer baffle cut to 9 inches. My return pump is something like 3.5 wide. I gave it 5 so it had some breathing room and left the remaining space for the refugium. I easily have room for a reactor in the return pump chamber later down the road.

I dont know how much room you have but as always I would give yourself a little more room then you need if you can. More water volume is best but what is most important to remember in your design is that you have enough room in the sump for any water siphoned back in case of lose of power. You shouldnt only count on anti-siphons/check valves to save your floor.

Never mind the egg crate in the photo, Im in the middle of working on another idea. Im sure the other guys have more to add on the subject. Good luck with your built.

:peace:

It depends on how big your sump is. If its going to be a small sump then ditch the fuge and go with just your skimmer and return section.

I do have the same dilemma, I'm rebuilding my sump but my only concern is the amount of water that will drain back after I turn off the power. I calculated the room I'm left with and my sump can handle an extra 5.5 gallons. I honestly think I'm going to need more. To solve this though I might get a durso pipe and use the elevation for my drain lessen the back flow to my sump just in case of power outage. Fingers crossed. It's going to be scary the first time i do my test.

I do have the same dilemma, I'm rebuilding my sump but my only concern is the amount of water that will drain back after I turn off the power. I calculated the room I'm left with and my sump can handle an extra 5.5 gallons. I honestly think I'm going to need more. To solve this though I might get a durso pipe and use the elevation for my drain lessen the back flow to my sump just in case of power outage. Fingers crossed. It's going to be scary the first time i do my test.

I'm doing the same on this build. I think the durso should really reduce the amount of water going back to the sump. For the return pump I'm going to try a y-check valve. I was told they are much better, I guess they don't get clogged? The guy I ordered my tank from was nice enough to give me one (thank again Ed).

Good luck! :dirol:

I'm doing the same on this build. I think the durso should really reduce the amount of water going back to the sump. For the return pump I'm going to try a y-check valve. I was told they are much better, I guess they don't get clogged? The guy I ordered my tank from was nice enough to give me one (thank again Ed).

Good luck! :dirol:
why don't you create a build thread? maybe I can learn something from it? hahaha! my progress is too slow, i have so much to learn. im heading to our local glass shop tomorrow to have some glass pieces cut. good luck with your build!

Latest posts