How do I setup my calcium reactor?

Sanhchito kicked me down a CaRX and reg. He didn't have a solenoid or I'm sure he would have given that up too! I'm just trying to see if there's a way to do this without having to buy a probe/controller. I just cashed in all my aluminum cans for my new skimmer fund. So I'm being cheap! Lol.

In all seriousness if it is justifiably better/safer to run a solenoid/probe/controller then I guess I'll just have to wait...

...thoughts?
U cannot run a calcium reactor with out knowing the PH inside the reactor. And unless u plan on smoking ur tank, u need to have a ph controller to turn the solenoid on/off. If u do not have a regulator, ph monitor/controller, and a solenoid then ur not ready to use a reactor.

Try running an MP40 with out the wetside and see how that works. Or an auto top off without a float valve in ur sump. ;)

So I subscribed to this thread since I also need to set up my CaRX. Good info to sure.

Without hijacking the thread...is it possible to run a CaRX manually? As in without a controller or solenoid?

Edit: This thread gets the sticky treatment.
Ask Mike Smalltime about running a reactor manually. He says he likes it better that way.
I still think you would have to have a solenoid but not sure. He does it without a controller.

Huntington Park, South Central and sometimes River
Having Juan come over and make man kabobs!

What did I win?
Yup he's putting on the maid outfit and scrubbing my floors. Lol. He's gonna kill me for telling!
U cannot run a calcium reactor with out knowing the PH inside the reactor. And unless u plan on smoking ur tank, u need to have a ph controller to turn the solenoid on/off. If u do not have a regulator, ph monitor/controller, and a solenoid then ur not ready to use a reactor.

Try running an MP40 with out the wetside and see how that works. Or an auto top off without a float valve in ur sump. ;)
Smart@$$. See below sweet cheeks.
Ask Mike Smalltime about running a reactor manually. He says he likes it better that way.
I still think you would have to have a solenoid but not sure. He does it without a controller.
Yup. Mike is the one who was telling me about running on manually. His tank is baller so he must be doing something right. It's just a lot of testing manually to get it dialed in. :eek:

jbaeza83

Premium Member
Supporter
Those of you that run a calcium reactor and use an Apex to control it, can you guys post the code you use on the apex?

Back in the day, we did not have ph probe ports on calcium reactors. We just bought them to look pretty sitting in the cabinet. Of course since we couldn't use them without a probe, we saved a lot of money not having to refil the Co2 tank or add media. Now that I know ph controllers are essential to run them, I might have to get me one of those. :D

Back in the day, we did not have ph probe ports on calcium reactors. We just bought them to look pretty sitting in the cabinet. Of course since we couldn't use them without a probe, we saved a lot of money not having to refil the Co2 tank or add media. Now that I know ph controllers are essential to run them, I might have to get me one of those. :D
Lmfao

I run my ato without a float valve....

There are many ways to run a successful reef tank :)

I run my ato without a float valve....

There are many ways to run a successful reef tank :)
How could u run an ATO with out a float valve or one of those water sensors? Unless u have it hooked up to a timer. But that's sketchy because ur water doesn't always evaporate the same on a day to day basis.

Yes there are many way to a successful reef tank....however most of them are not the smartest ways. Lol

Hot Dogs are GOOD!

BigMac

lol, I had one sitting in the closet for years collecting dust because there were no probe

I just setup my own Geo's Reef calcium reactor with a new Milwaukee CO2 regulator. Geo's Reef has all the directions you need in simple clear explanation with pictures. Their reactors are expensive and bullet proof. One thing Geo's doesn't recommend is running the reactor off a manifold. He's for low/adequate pressure and consistency.